Read an Excerpt
White Bean and Fennel
This creamy and slightly sweet soup, when paired with a loaf of bread and a salad, creates a perfect winter meal.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and diced, including the fern-like tops
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried fennel seeds
- 4 cups cooked cannellini beans, rinsed
- 6 to 8 cups low-salt chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Shaved Parmesan cheese
- Blue cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Crumbled bacon, for garnish (optional)
Place a large stockpot over medium heat and, when it is hot, add the oil. Add the onion, celery, carrots, fennel, garlic, and fennel seed and cook until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the beans and stock and raise the heat to high. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to low, and cook for 2 hours. Transfer to a container, cover, and refrigerate at least overnight, and up to three days.
Place in a pot and gently reheat. Add the lemon juice, and garnish with the fennel tops, Parmesan cheese, and blue cheese and bacon, if desired.
Yield: About 10 to 12 cups
Copyright © 2003 by Sally Sampson