Source: Music of the Avant-garde, 1966-1973 / Edition 1by Larry Austin, Douglas Kahn
Pub. Date: 07/06/2011
Publisher: University of California Press
Source: Music of the Avant Garde was and remains a seminal source for materials on the heyday of experimental music and arts. Conceived in 1966 and published to 1973, it included some of the most important composers and artists of the time: John Cage, Harry Partch, David Tudor, Morton Feldman, Robert Ashley, Pauline Oliveros, Dick Higgins, Nam June/i>… See more details below
Source: Music of the Avant Garde was and remains a seminal source for materials on the heyday of experimental music and arts. Conceived in 1966 and published to 1973, it included some of the most important composers and artists of the time: John Cage, Harry Partch, David Tudor, Morton Feldman, Robert Ashley, Pauline Oliveros, Dick Higgins, Nam June Paik, Steve Reich, and many others. A pathbreaking publication, Source documented crucial changes in performance practice and live electronics, computer music, notation and event scores, theater and installations, intermedia and technology, politics and the social roles of composers and performers, and innovations in the sound of music.
- University of California Press
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.10(w) x 10.00(h) x 1.20(d)
Table of Contents
Preface: Source in the Cause of New Music, by Douglas Kahn Introduction: Larry Austin on Source, from an interview by Douglas Kahn
ISSUE NO. 1
The Editors | Preface Giuseppe Chiari | Quel che volete Robert Ashley
• in memoriam...Esteban Gómez (quartet)
• in memoriam...John Smith (concerto)
• in memoriam...Crazy Horse (symphony)
• in memoriam...Kit Carson (opera)
plus Letter to the Editor Earle Brown | Form in New Music Harry Partch | Lecture Harry Partch | And on the Seventh Day Petals Fell in Petaluma Robert Ashley, Larry Austin, and Karlheinz Stockhausen | Conversation
ISSUE NO. 2
The Editors | Is the Composer Anonymous?
Toshi Ichiyanagi | Appearance, for 3 Instruments, 2 Oscillators, 2 Ring Modulators Morton Feldman | Conversations Without Stravinsky John Cage | 4'33"
plus correspondence and telephone conversation with the Editor Gordon Mumma | Alvin Lucier's Music for Solo Performer 1965
Jerry Hunt | Sur (Doctor) John Dee and Tabulatura Soyga
ISSUE NO. 3
Larry Austin, Stanley Lunetta, John Mizelle, and Arthur Woodbury | Groups Section
• Gordon Mumma and Larry Austin | Sonic Arts Group
• Robert Ashley | The ONCE Group
• Musica Elettronica Viva | WORDS . . .
David Behrman | Wave Train Will Johnson | First Festival of Live-Electronic Music 1967
John Mizelle | Radial Energy I Frederic Rzewski | Plan for Spacecraft Pauline Oliveros | Some Sound Observations Robert Moran | Titus Number 1 for Amplified Automobile The Editors | Comment
ISSUE NO. 4
Robert Ashley | The Wolfman John Cage and Lejaren Hiller | HPSCHD, interview by Larry Austin Larry Austin | Accidents
ISSUE NO. 5
Anna [Annea] Lockwood | Glass Concert 2
Christian Wolff | Edges Dick Higgins | Boredom and Danger Stanley Lunetta | Spider-Song Max Neuhaus | A Max Sampler: Six sound oriented pieces for situations other than that of the concert hall Larry Austin | Events/Comments
ISSUE NO. 6
Dick Higgins | The Thousand Symphonies Philip Corner | Anti-personnel Bomb Editors and Respondents | Events/Comments: Is new music being used for political or social ends?
Jani Christou | Enantiodromia Frederic Rzewski | Street Music and Symphony
ISSUE NO. 7
John Cage and Calvin Sumsion | Plexigram IV: Not Wanting to Say Anything about Marcel
• Barbara Rose | Not Wanting to Say Anything about Marcel John Dinwiddie | MEWANTEMOOSEICDAY: John Cage in Davis, 1969
Dick Higgins | Towards the '70s Arthur Woodbury | Velox Pauline Oliveros | The Indefinite Integral of Psi Star Psi d Tau Equals One Mark Riener | Phlegethon Alvin Lucier | I Am Sitting In A Room and Vespers Ben Johnston | How to Cook an Albatross Jocy de Oliveira | Polinterações
ISSUE NO. 8
Sven Hansell and Harvey Matusow | Fylkingen 1970
• Åke Hodell, Mr. Smith in Rhodesia
• Bob Cobbing, Chamber Music
• Ferdinand Kriwet, Rundscheibe XIII Lowell Cross | Audio/Video/Laser Morton Feldman | Boola Boola Larry Austin | Caritas and Transmission One Stanley Lunetta | Moosack Machine Peter Garland | "Sea Fever"
Larry Austin | Editorial
ISSUE NO. 9
David Rosenboom | Noise Abatement Resolution Anna [Annea] Lockwood | Piano Burning and Tiger Balm Nelson Howe | Fur Music Nicolas Slonimsky, Möbius Strip-Tease Stanley Lunetta | Events/Comments
• Donald Buchla | On the Desirability of Distinguishing between Sound and Structure The Editors | International Carnival of Experimental Sound
ISSUE NO. 10
Alvin Lucier | Gentle Fire and Queen of the South
• Harvey Matusow | Naked Software: 12-Cassette Spatial Sound System
• Anna [Annea] Lockwood: River Archive
• John Lifton | Project: International Concert of Public Noise
• John Lifton | Interface 3A Stuart Marshall | "Exhibition on 3 Hills"
Steve Reich | "Music as a Gradual Process" and Pendulum Music Anthony Braxton | 8KN-(J-6)
Cornelius Cardew | The Great Learning Cornelius Cardew | The Scratch Orchestra: Draft Constitution George Brecht | Land Mass Translocation Christopher Hobbs | The Friesian Cow a.d.r. | Portsmouth Sinfonia Gavin Bryars | Verbal Pieces Pauline Oliveros | Sonic Meditations
ISSUE NO. 11
Ken Friedman and Stanley Lunetta | Editorial
• Ken Friedman | International Sources: Notes on the Exhibition Ken Friedman | NYCS Weekly Breeder Max Neuhaus | Water Whistle Robert Filliou | Telepathic Music Image Bank | New York Corres-Sponge Dance School of Vancouver Nam June Paik | "My Symphonies" and "Postmusic"
Charles Amirkhanian | "xvurt" and "bcuhla"
John Paul Rhinehart and Stanley Marsh 3 | Chromatic Tree Harp
Appendix: Complete Contents of Source Credits
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >