South Africa (Seminar Studies in History Series): The Rise and Fall of Apartheid / Edition 1by Nancy L. Clark, William H. Worger, William H. Worger
Pub. Date: 01/30/2004
Apartheid was an oppressive and brutal system of racial discrimination that captured and appalled world opinion during the latter half of the twentieth century. South Africa: The Rise and Fall of Apartheid examines the history of South Africa during this period of apartheid: from 1948 when the Nationalists came to power, through to the collapse of/b>
Apartheid was an oppressive and brutal system of racial discrimination that captured and appalled world opinion during the latter half of the twentieth century. South Africa: The Rise and Fall of Apartheid examines the history of South Africa during this period of apartheid: from 1948 when the Nationalists came to power, through to the collapse of the system in the 1990s.
Written in a clear and accessible manner, the book:
- charts the history of the apartheid regime, starting with the institution of the policy, through the mounting opposition in the 1970¿s and 1980¿s, to its eventual collapse in the 1990¿s
- highlights the internal contradictions of white supremacy
- demonstrates how black opposition, from that of Nelson Mandela to that of thousands of ordinary people, finally brought an end to white minority rule
- provides an extensive set of documents to give insight into the minds of those who fashioned and those who opposed apartheid
- discusses the subsequent legacy of apartheid
Also containing a Chronology, Glossary, Who¿s Who of leading figures and Guide to Further Reading, this book provides students with the most up-to-date and succinct introduction to the ideology and practice of apartheid in South Africa.
Nancy L. Clark is Professor of History and Dean of the Honors College at Louisiana State University. William H. Worger is Professor of History at the University of California, Los Angeles.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction Apartheid Historiography
2. Historical Background The Peoples of South Africa The Creation of South Africa: The South African War and its Aftermath Union and Segregation African Response The Rise of Afrikanerdom
3. The Basis of Apartheid Why Apartheid?
The Implementation of Apartheid Early Apartheid Legislation Challenge and Repression The Grand Apartheid Solution
4. Growing Contradictions The Impact of Apartheid The Failure of Grand Apartheid Essential Workers: The Failure of Labour Control Bantu Education and Black Consciousness The Apartheid Police State The Total Strategy From Failure to Reform?: The 1983 Constitution
5. The Collapse of Apartheid Reform and Repression Insurrection Negotiation
6. The Legacy of Apartheid Documents Glossary Who¿s Who Guide to Further Reading References
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >