Step-by-Step Medical Coding 2010 Editionby Carol J. Buck
Pub. Date: 12/04/2009
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Take your first step toward a successful career in medical coding with comprehensive coverage from the most trusted source in the field! This practical, easy-to-use resource walks you through each step of the medical coding and reimbursement process, providing an in-depth introduction to essential coding concepts followed by practice exercises that reinforce your… See more details below
Take your first step toward a successful career in medical coding with comprehensive coverage from the most trusted source in the field! This practical, easy-to-use resource walks you through each step of the medical coding and reimbursement process, providing an in-depth introduction to essential coding concepts followed by practice exercises that reinforce your understanding. The 2010 edition has been expanded and reorganized into four units: Reimbursement; ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM; CPT and HCPCS; and Inpatient Coding. No other text on the market brings together such thorough coverage of all coding systems in one source!
- Carol J. Buck’s proven step-by-step approach guides you through difficult concepts in the most direct, straightforward manner to ensure complete understanding.
- In-text exercises throughout each chapter reinforce coding rules and concepts and emphasize the book's step-by-step organization.
- Quick Check features immediately reinforce key concepts and test your retention and understanding.
- Concrete "real-life" coding examples allow you to apply important coding principles and practices to actual scenarios from the field.
- Full-color design ensures easy navigation and presents material in a unique, compelling way.
- Coding Shots provide tips for complicated coding scenarios and advice for entering the job market.
- Stop! notes offer a brief summary of material just covered to help ensure retention and understanding and provide a transition into the next topic.
- Caution! notes warn users of common coding mistakes and reinforce the concept of coding as an exact science.
- Check This Out! boxes offer notes on accessing reference information, primarily via the Internet.
- Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting boxes present the official guidelines alongside text discussions.
- Coder’s Index makes it easy to instantly locate specific codes.
- Updated content reflects the latest coding developments so you can practice with the most current information available.
- New organization provides greater detail on key coding systems and makes it even easier to find the coding information you need.
- More than 125 new and enhanced illustrations clarify difficult concepts to ensure the most accurate coding.
- Dual Coding prepares you for the switch from ICD-9 to ICD-10. Beginning in Chapter 7, corresponding codes from each ICD set are presented together for easy reference.
- Toolbox features provide additional cases for analysis and applying knowledge to specific case elements.
- Additional From the Trenches quotes provide valuable, up-to-date insights from instructors and professionals in the medical coding field.
- Practice activities and Coding Guidelines appendices are now available on an expanded Evolve Resources website to ensure fast, easy access and the most up-to-date content.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.50(w) x 10.90(h) x 1.30(d)
Table of Contents
Unit I: Reimbursement
1. Reimbursement, HIPAA, and Compliance
Unit II: ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM
2: An Overview of ICD-9-CM
3. Outpatient Coding and Reporting Guidelines
4. Using ICD-9-CM
5. Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-9-CM Chapters 1-8)
6. Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-9-CM Chapters 9-17)
Unit III: CPT and HCPCS
8. Introduction to the CPT and Level II National Codes (HCPCS)
10. Evaluation and Management (E/M) Services
12. Surgery Guidelines and General Surgery
13. Integumentary System
14. Musculoskeletal System
15. Respiratory System
16. Cardiovascular System
17. Hemic, Lymphatic, Mediastinum, and Diaphragm
18. Digestive System
19. Urinary and Male Genital Systems
20. Reproductive, Intersex Surgery, Female Genital System, and Maternity Care and Delivery
21. Endocrine and Nervous Systems
22. Eye, Ocular Adnexa, Auditory, and Operating Microscope
Unit IV: Inpatient Coding
26. Inpatient Coding
Appendix A: Resources
Appendix B: Exercise Answers
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >