Step-by-Step Medical Coding / With Quick Guide to HIPAA for the Physician's Office / Edition 5by Carol J. Buck
Pub. Date: 12/01/2003
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Step-by-Step Medical Coding takes a practical approach to training students for a career in medical coding. It begins with an introduction to Current Procedural Terminology (CPT), followed by in-depth explanations of the sections found in the CPT manual. Several chapters, organized to follow the CPT codes by body system, introduce various procedures and demonstrate… See more details below
Step-by-Step Medical Coding takes a practical approach to training students for a career in medical coding. It begins with an introduction to Current Procedural Terminology (CPT), followed by in-depth explanations of the sections found in the CPT manual. Several chapters, organized to follow the CPT codes by body system, introduce various procedures and demonstrate how to code each one. Practice exercises following each step of information and at the end of each unit reinforce important concepts and allow users to check their comprehension. Unit 2 covers the International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD 9-CM), and Unit 3 offers information about third party reimbursement. Appendices provide the official ICD-9-CM guidelines for coding and reporting, answers to the in-text exercises, and the documentation guidelines for E/M services. Instructor resources are available; please contact your Elsevier sales representative for details.
• Repetition of skills in each chapter reinforces material, and creates a logical progression to for easy learning, as well as illustrating skill integration
• In-text exercises throughout each chapter immediately reinforce the coding rules and concepts, emphasizing the step-by-step organization of the book
• Medical procedures or conditions are illustrated and discussed in the text help readers understand the services being coded.
• From the Trenches feature highlights a different real-life medical coding practitioner in each chapter, with photographs throughout the chapter alongside quotes that offer practical advice or motivational comments.
• Coding Shots contain tips for the new coder.
• Stop! notes offer a brief summary of material that was just covered and provide a transition to the next topic.
• Caution! notes warn students of common coding mistakes and reinforce the concept of coding as an exact science.
• Check This Out boxes offer notes relevant to the coding profession.
• Official Coding and Reporting Guidelines boxes in the chapter on Using the ICD-9-CM contain excerpts of the actual guidelines so the reader can see the official wording presented alongside discussions of that topic in the text.
• Format for answers includes four response variations: one answer blank for coding questions that require a one-code answer; multiple answer blanks for coding questions that require a multiple-code answer; identifiers next to the blank(s) guide readers through the most difficult coding scenarios; and answer blanks with a preceding symbol prompt the reader to decide the number of codes necessary to correctly answer the question.
• New illustrations enhance the quality of the text and illustrate the most important coding concepts.
• Documentation Guidelines for Evaluation and Management Services has been added as an appendix.
• Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting boxes in the chapter on Using the ICD-9-CM (chapter 15) have been modified to visually indicate inpatient vs. outpatient use based on the 2003 changes to the guidelines.
• Expanded glossary familiarizes new coders with important terms.
• Concrete, real-life examples demonstrate the application of important coding principles and practices, such as financial losses that can result from inappropriate coding.
• Updated, improved chapter learning objectives and end-chapter review questions help readers focus on essential chapter content.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.14(w) x 11.04(h) x 0.99(d)
Table of Contents
Unit I: Current Procedural Terminology (CPT)
1. Introduction to the CPT Manual
2. The Evaluation and Management (E/M) Section
3. The Anesthesia Section and Modifiers
4. Introduction to the Surgery Section and Integumentary System
5. Musculoskeletal System
6. Respiratory System
7. Cardiovascular System
8. Female Genital System and Maternity Care and Delivery
9. General Surgery I
10. General Surgery II
11. The Radiology Section
12. The Pathology/Laboratory
13. The Medicine Section and the Level II Nation Codes
Unit II: International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-9-CM)
14. An Overview of the ICD-9-CM
15. Using the ICD-9-CM
Unit III: Third-Party Reimbursement
16. Third-Party Reimbursement Issues
Appendix A: Official ICD-9-CM Guidelines for Coding and Reporting
Appendix B: Exercise Answers
Appendix C: Documentation Guidelines for Evaluation and Management Services
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >