In every moment of each day, we have the opportunity to bring the sacred into our everyday lives. We can perform acts of mindfulness and thanksgiving that can transform our lives and help us repair the world. Stepping Stones to Jewish Spiritual Living provides spiritual activities, meditations, prayers, and simple rituals to accommodate any lifestyle and daily routine, giving us a chance to embrace God's creation throughout the day.
Co-authored by a rabbi and a psychotherapist, it bridges the gap between
faith and healing, tradition and innovation, acceptance of the past and transformation for the future. Chapters are arranged according to the cycle of each day-from sunrise to midnight-and feature creative new rituals, inspiring passages from traditional Jewish texts, prayers, poems, blessings, acts of kavannah (spiritual intention), and more:
- Sunrise, Renewing our bodies with meditation and mindful breathing.
- Morning, Contributing to tikkun olam (repairing the world) by ethically pursuing our livelihoods and recognizing our social responsibilities.
- Afternoon, Giving thanks with blessings at meal times, and extending hospitality to family, friends, and community.
- Evening, Combining study and prayer with relaxation and leisure.
- Night, Confronting pain, loss, and death with rituals for healing and renewal for the future.
Includes special sections dealing with the sacred aspects of relationships, love and sexuality, mourning and loss, Kabbalah, and more.
"A wonderful, practical, and inspiring guidebook to gently bring the riches of Jewish practice into our busy, everyday lives. Highly recommended."
-Rabbi David A. Cooper
, author of God Is a Verb
"Turns the mundane 24-hour day into a luminous gateway toward the sacred and the spiritual."
-Rabbi Arthur Waskow
, Pathfinder of ALEPH, Alliance for Jewish Renewal;
author, Godwrestling-Round 2