Today’s leading authorities present the succinct, yet thorough guidance you need to successfully avoid or manage complications stemming from pre-existing medical conditions. Organized by disease, the new edition of this popular guide has been completely revised and updated to reflect the latest information on definition, current pathophysiology, significant pre-, intra-, and postoperative factors of the disease process, anesthetic judgment, and management. A new, more user-friendly design and organization—and completely redrawn illustrations—make reference easier than ever. And now, as an Expert Consult title, this reference includes access to the complete contents online, for convenient reference where and when you need it!
• Offers comprehensive guidance from respected authorities to help you effectively manage the complete spectrum of comorbidities before, during, and after surgery.
• Provides case examples that explain how to overcome a wide range of challenges.
• Presents detailed discussions of common diseases, while coverage of more rare diseases highlights their unique features that could be of importance in the perioperative period.
• Examines specific anesthesia considerations for special patient populations—including pediatric and geriatric patients—to help you avoid complications.
• Features abundant tables that provide fast access to the most pertinent aspects of every condition.
• Offers access to a companion web site offering the complete contents of the book—fully searchable—for rapid consultation from anyplace with an Internet connection.
• Includes completely redrawn illustrations, enhancing the clarity and visual effect of the material.
• Presents the latest anesthesia guidelines for patients with ischemic heart disease, congestive heart failure, asthma, immune system dysfunction, and more.
• Features a new, more user-friendly design and organization to expedite quick access to the answers you need.
Your purchase entitles you to access the web site until the next edition is published, or until the current edition is no longer offered for sale by Elsevier, whichever occurs first. If the next edition is published less than one year after your purchase, you will be entitled to online access for one year from your date of purchase. Elsevier reserves the right to offer a suitable replacement product (such as a downloadable or CD-ROM-based electronic version) should access to the web site be discontinued.
"An excellent reference for those who need a comprehensive review of the current practice of internal medicine as it relates to anesthesia...A wellspring of information...worthwhile and useful.” —Anesthesia and Analgesia
" This is a unique and valuable reference that provides anesthesia practitioners with essential expertise on the pathology of coexisting diseases and their implications for the perioperative management of surgical patients." - DOODY'S BOOK REVIEW, 4 Stars
Doody's Review Service
Reviewer: Zdravka Zafirova, MD (University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine) Description: This is the fifth updated edition of a book on the pathophysiology of disease states important for the management of patients in the perioperative period. Purpose: Comprehensive understanding of diseases and their anesthetic implications is essential to the safe and effective administration of anesthesia. The book aims to provide a concise reference on the pathology of common and uncommon coexisting medical conditions and their impact on perioperative management - a goal that the authors have achieved superbly. Audience: The book supplies essential information to perioperative practitioners at all levels of their professional development, from students and residents to experienced anesthesia providers. The editors and the authors are recognized experts in their field. Features: "The chapters use an organ system approach to the organization of the disease entities. The common disorders have a more prominent place in the book and are presented in greater detail. Uncommon but relevant conditions are discussed as well and important features are emphasized. The final chapters are dedicated to special patient populations such as obstetric, pediatric, and geriatric patients. Abundant, well designed illustrations, figures, graphs, and tables supplement the text and enhance the didactic value of the book. Each chapter concludes with a highlighted box containing key points for easy review. The online feature provides easy access to the book from any electronic portal and gives readers the ability to rapidly locate key information. The references are linked to their abstracts on MEDLINE, facilitating the acquisition of deeper understanding on the topics of interest. " Assessment: This is a unique and valuable reference that provides anesthesia practitioners with essential expertise on the pathology of coexisting diseases and their implications for the perioperative management of surgical patients.