- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Teaches readers how to incorporate stone into many garden features including paths, steps, walls, ponds, and rock gardens. Features 20 basic designs.
From China, where stones were called "the roots of heaven, " to Japan and western Europe, Whitner covers the history and the basics of selecting and working with stones, and shows how to create beautiful and lasting effects through their use in pools, terraces, paths, and steps. Photographs in color and black-and-white.
Part I: The Asian Tradition
1. Chinese Gardens: The Roots of Heaven
2. Japanese Gardens: Across the Eastern Sea
Part II: The Western Tradition
3. European Gardens: From Paradise to Eden
4. Using Stone in Today's Gardens
Part III: Working with Stone
5. On Stones and Sites
6. Paths and Steps
7. Walls and Terraces
8. Stone Water Features
9. Rock Gardens
10. Handmade Stone: Using Hypertufa in the Garden