Strategic Planning for Public and Nonprofit Organizations: A Guide to Strengthening and Sustaining Organizational Achievement / Edition 2by John M. Bryson, Bryson
Pub. Date: 10/28/1995
Publisher: Wiley, John & Sons, Incorporated
Shows leaders and managers of public and nonprofit organizations both how and why they should use strategic planning to improve the performance of their organizations. This expanded edition includes many examples to illustrate both successful and unsuccessful planning efforts, while new chapters address planning implementation, strategy evaluation and reassessment, and key leadership roles vital to effective strategic planning. In addition, the author presents a planning process used successfully by many public and nonprofit prganizations--the Strategy Change Cycle--along with detailed guidance on its application.
Table of ContentsPart One: Understanding the Dynamics of Strategic Planning.
1. Why Strategic Planning in Public and Nonprofit Organizations Is More Important Than Ever.
2. The Strategy Change Cycle: An Effective Strategic Planning Approach for Public and Nonprofit Organizations.
Part Two: Key Steps in Using the Strategy Change Cycle to Think and Act Strategically.
3. Initiating and Agreeing on a Strategic Planning Process.
4. Clarifying Organizational Mandates and Mission.
5. Assessing Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats.
6. Identifying Strategic Issues Facing the Organization.
7. Formulating and Adopting Strategies and Plans to Manage the Issues.
8. Establishing an Effective Organizational Vision for the Future.
9. Implementing Strategies and Plans Successfully.
10. Reassessing and Revising Strategies and Plans.
Part Three: Managing the Process and Getting Started with Strategic Planning.
11. Leadership Roles in Making Strategic Planning Work.
12. Getting Started with Strategic Planning.
Resources: A. An Ongoing Approach for Identifying External Threats and Opportunities B. Advanced Concepts for Identifying Strategic Issues C. Using the "Oval Mapping Process" to Identify Strategic Issues and Formulate Effective Strategies D. Advanced Concepts for Strategy Formulation and Implementation E. Advanced Concepts for Establishing an Effective Organizational Vision for the Future.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
Well written, well structured book. The best feature: it comes as an nook book!!!!
I found this book useful in the public sector. Bryson helps to walk you through strategic planning from beginning to end and gives you various examples throughout each chapter.