Strategic Planning for Public and NonProfit Organizations: A Guide to Strengthening and Sustaining Organizational Achievement / Edition 3by John M. Bryson
Pub. Date: 09/28/2004
When it was first published more than sixteen years ago, John Bryson's Strategic Planning for Public and Nonprofit Organizations introduced a new and thoughtful strategic planning model. Since then it has become the standard reference in the field. In this completely revised third edition, Bryson updates his perennial bestseller to help today’s leaders/i>
When it was first published more than sixteen years ago, John Bryson's Strategic Planning for Public and Nonprofit Organizations introduced a new and thoughtful strategic planning model. Since then it has become the standard reference in the field. In this completely revised third edition, Bryson updates his perennial bestseller to help today’s leaders enhance organizational effectiveness. This new edition:
- Features the Strategy Change Cycle—a proven planning process used by a large number of organizations
- Offers detailed guidance on implementing the planning process and includes specific tools and techniques to make the process work in any organization
- Introduces new material on creating public value, stakeholder analysis, strategy mapping, balanced scorecards, collaboration, and more
- Includes information about the organizational designs that will encourage strategic thought and action throughout the entire organization
- Contains a wealth of updated examples and cases
Table of Contents
Figures and Exhibits.
PART ONE: UNDERSTANDING THE DYNAMICS OF STRATEGIC PLANNING.
1. Why Strategic Planning Is More Important Than Ever.
2. The Strategy Change Cycle: An Effective Strategic Planning Approach.
PART TWO: KEY STEPS IN USING THE STRATEGY CHANGE CYCLE.
3. Initiating and Agreeing on a Strategic Planning Process.
4. Clarifying Organizational Mandates and Mission.
5. Assessing the Environment to Identify Strengths and Weaknesses, Opportunities and Challenges.
6. Identifying Strategic Issues Facing the Organization.
7. Formulating and Adopting Strategies and Plans to Manage the Issues.
8. Establishing an Effective Organizational Vision for the Future.
9. Implementing Strategies and Plans Successfully.
10. Reassessing and Revising Strategies and Plans.
PART THREE: MANAGING THE PROCESS AND GETTING STARTED WITH STRATEGIC PLANNING.
11. Leadership Roles for Making Strategic Planning Work.
12. Getting Started with Strategic Planning.
A. Stakeholder Identification and Analysis Techniques.
B. The Oval Mapping Process: Identifying Strategic Issues and Formulating Effective Strategies.
C. Strategic Planning in Collaborative Settings.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
Well written, well structured book. The best feature: it comes as an nook book!!!!
I found this book useful in the public sector. Bryson helps to walk you through strategic planning from beginning to end and gives you various examples throughout each chapter.