Strategic Planning For Success: Aligning People, Performance, and Payoff / Edition 1by Roger Kaufman, Hugh Oakley-Browne, Ryan Watkins, Doug Leigh
Pub. Date: 02/21/2003
We depend on organizations airlines, drug manufacturers, supermarkets, energy suppliers to put our safety, survival, and quality of life as their top purpose. Without this assurance to consumers, these companies would soon go out of business. And by putting the concerns of society first these organizations thrive in the private and public sectors. The… See more details below
We depend on organizations airlines, drug manufacturers, supermarkets, energy suppliers to put our safety, survival, and quality of life as their top purpose. Without this assurance to consumers, these companies would soon go out of business. And by putting the concerns of society first these organizations thrive in the private and public sectors. The question is "How can all organizations be transformed so the needs of the client and ultimately society are at the top of their priority lists?"
Strategic Planning for Success offers you a pragmatic guide to the design and development of practical and pragmatic strategic thinking and organizational alignment that will yield high-impact results and measurably add value to you, your organization, your clients, and society. Unlike other books on the topic, this volume goes beyond simply detailing the tools and techniques of design and development by clearly showing how to align what you do with what will be most valuable to all stakeholders. Using this unique approach will yield extraordinary results adding measurable value that flows from individual performance accomplishment to organizational and societal contributions.
Written by the internationally-renowned strategic planning experts Roger Kaufman, Hugh Oakley-Brown, Ryan Watkins, and Doug Leigh, Strategic Planning for Success is a practical, applications-oriented guide that shows how to think strategically and goes on to define what to deliver, to whom, and why. The book focuses on what an organization must do and deliver to have continuing success and is based on practical applications used world-wide in both the private and public sectors. Copublished with the International Society for Performance Improvement, this hands-on guide is filled with concepts, tools, and practical exercises designed for operational application including:
• Guided practice, replete with job aids, checklists, and activities
• A CD-ROM that features PowerPoint presentations for each chapter, plus additional activities, case studies, and customizable job aids, checklists, and exercises
• Guidelines for system (not just systems) thinking, planning, design, development, test, revision, and application3/4not just pieces of organizational or human performance improvement
• Useful, pragmatic, and proven tools and concepts, including needs assessment, needs analysis, and costs-consequences analysis
Strategic Planning for Success will show you how to define, deliver, develop, and promote genuine performance improvement within your organization.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Hardcover & CD-ROM
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.24(w) x 9.67(h) x 1.19(d)
Table of Contents
List of Tables and Figures.
1. BUSTING OLD PARADIGMS AND USING NEW ONES: DEFINING AND SHAPING OUR FUTURE.
The New Realities.
Ignoring the New Realities.
Paradigms That Work.
Create a Better Future.
2. CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS FOR STRATEGIC THINKING THAT WORKS.
Six Critical Success Factors for Strategic Thinking and Planning.
Is Change Strategic?
The Strategic Thinking and Planning Process.
The Consequences of Ignoring the Critical Success Factors.
3. SYSTEM (AND SYSTEMS) THINKING.
The Organizational Elements Model.
Defining the Organizational Elements.
The Organizational Elements Describe a System.
The Organizational Elements—Useful Applications.
Planning from a Helicopter vs. Planning from the Ground.
4. PREPARING TO PLAN: ENSURING YOU DO THE RIGHT THING AND NOT SIMPLY DO THINGS RIGHT.
The Strategic Planning Process.
Preparing to Plan.
Mega Level Visioning: Committing to the Longest View.
Assessing Resistance to Change.
Barriers—Common Mistakes Made by Strategic Planners.
5. ASSESSING NEEDS: DEFINING THE CRITICAL GAPS IN RESULTS . . .AND PUTTING THEM IN PRIORITY ORDER.
Needs Assessment or Wants Assessment?
Defining Needs and Wants.
Needs Assessment Benefits.
The Organizational Elements.
The Needs Assessment Process.
Gathering the Data.
Data Gathering Methods.
Selecting Priority Needs.
Will the Needs Assessment Work?
6. SOLVING PROBLEMS: CLOSING THE PRIORITY GAPS.
Solving Problems—An Overview.
Two Common Problem Solving Errors.
Errors in Formulating the Problem.
Simple Problem Solving.
Complex Problem Solving.
7. DEVELOPING SMARTER OBJECTIVES: THINKING AUDACIOUSLY, BEING AUDACIOUS, DELIVERING HIGH PAYOFF RESULTS.
Categories of Objectives.
“Smarter” Criteria for High Impact Objectives.
Identify Key Result Areas.
Select Performance Indicators.
Detecting Non-Smarter Objectives.
Develop Mission Objectives.
8. CREATING CHANGE: MAKING SURE THE CHANGE EFFORT REALLY BROUGHT ABOUT CHANGE.
Creating and Managing the Change from Present Results to Desired Results.
Transition Management Plan.
The Paradox of Building Commitment Through Pain.
Define Key Roles for Change.
Preparing Change Agents and Advocates.
Managing Resistance Effectively.
Force Field Analysis.
9. SCOPING AND SCANNING THE ORGANIZATION: WHAT MEANS WILL ACHIEVE THE HIGH PAYOFF RESULTS.
Scoping and Scanning.
Analyzing the Business Logic.
The Relationships Among the Business Logics.
The Cultural Screen.
10. DELIVERING HIGH PAYOFF RESULTS.
High Payoff Results.
Fourteen Steps to Useful Results and Performance.
A General Problem Solving Process Model.
APPENDIX A: PARADIGM SHIFT FOR TEACHING/LEARNING.
APPENDIX B: A GLOSSARY AND CLASSIFICATION OF TERMS AND TOOLS.
APPENDIX C: A SUGGESTED CODE OF PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT FOR DEFINING AND DELIVERING HIGH PAYOFF RESULTS.
About the Authors.
About the International Society for Performance Improvement.
How to Use the CD-ROM.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >