Strategies for Teaching in the Content Areas: A Handbook for K-8 Teachers / Edition 1by Marjorie J. Wynn
Pub. Date: 09/05/2008
Strategies for Teaching in the Content Areas provides pre-service, in-service, and student teachers a quick reference to over 200 classroom-tested and research-based instructional strategies. These strategies, designed to actively involve students in learning, are organized by content areas for easy accessibility. Readers are also provided with examples of/i>… See more details below
Strategies for Teaching in the Content Areas provides pre-service, in-service, and student teachers a quick reference to over 200 classroom-tested and research-based instructional strategies. These strategies, designed to actively involve students in learning, are organized by content areas for easy accessibility. Readers are also provided with examples of an integrated, cross-content, thematic approach to learning.
· Each chapter:
- focuses on one of the following content areas: Reading; Writing; Language Arts: Scaffolds, Skills, and Centers; Social Studies; Math; and Science.
- includes a research-based introduction to the content area.
- includes national standards information appropriate for the content area. For additional information, web site references are included.
- provides concrete strategies for linguistic, spatial, bodily-kinesthetic, logical-mathematical, interpersonal, naturalist and musical learning experiences appropriate for most elementary and middle-school curricula.
· Strategies are presented for easy adaptation and implementation across curriculum, content areas , grade levels, literature, modalities, and multiple intelligences.
· Unique coverage of drug-prevention possibilities in light of the drug abuse/addiction pandemic facing our nation is provided in Chapter 7.
· Specific suggestions for differentiating instruction for at-risk as well as English as Second Language Learners (ESL) are embedded within each chapter.
· An Activity Appendix includesdetailed directions for specific instructional strategies presented with multiple applications.
· A Music Appendix includes guidelines for creating song innovations, a list of familiar songs, lyrics for learning literary elements, genre, and an original tune with lyrics for a familiar folktale.
· A Poetry Appendix includes formats for more than 20 types of poetry that are implemented in Strategies for Teaching in the Content Areas.
· A Lesson Planning Appendix includes a Pickle Picnic Reading Plan Format , sample lesson plans, and a lesson plan template.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.10(w) x 10.80(h) x 0.60(d)
- Age Range:
- 3 Months
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introduction to Content Area Strategies: Theory and Practice
The Inspiration of Theory
The Wisdom of Experience
The Value of Differentiated Instruction
Inspiration from Unexpected Places
Selection of Strategies for CAS
Chapter 2: Reading
Best Practices in Reading
IRA/NCTE Standards for the English Language Arts
How Should You Teach Reading?
Pickle Picnic Reading Plan
Instructional Activities that Promote Comprehension
Progressive Reading Instruction
Literature Selections for the Chapter
Genre: Traditional Literature
Culture: Asian (picture book)
Book: Yeh-Shen: A Cinderella Story from China
Culture: Native American
Book: If You Lived with the Hopi
Genre: Historical Fiction
Culture: African American
Book: I Thought My Soul Would Rise and Fly
Genre: Contemporary Realistic Fiction
Culture: European American
Book: Bridge to Terabithia
Genre: Modern Fantasy
Book: The Devil’s Arithmetic
Chapter 3: Writing
Stages of Writing
IRA/NCTE Standards for the English Language Arts
How Should You Teach Writing?
Best Practices in Writing
Thematic, Literature-Based Writing
Chapter 4: Language Arts: Scaffolds, Skills, & Centers Overview
Lit Links: Overview
Chapter 5: Social Studies
Curriculum Standards for Social Studies
Is Social Studies Destined to be Boring?
Best Practices in Social Studies
How Should You Teach Social Studies?
Civics and Government
Communities: Families, Cities, States, and Countries
Travel and Map Skills: Optional
Famous People Past & Present
Long, Long Ago: Medieval Times
Chapter 6: Mathematics
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
How Should Mathematics You Teach Mathematics?
Calculations and Computations
Dollars and Cents: Economics
Picture Perfect: Geometry, Graphing, & Data Analysis
Measure Mania: Measurement & Data Analysis
Chapter 7: Science
National Science Education Standards
Science as an Inquiry Experience
Science as an Investigative Experience
Science as a Communication Experience
How Should You Teach Science?
Kittens and Kings
Chapter 8: Mysteries across Content Areas
Encyclopedia Brown Boy Detective
The Missing ‘Gator of Gumbo Limbo
The House of Dies Drear
The Westing Game
Appendix A: Activity Appendix
Appendix B: Music Appendix
Appendix C: Poetry Appendix
Appendix D: Lesson Planning Appendix
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >