1. Strategies of Commitment
Climate and Society
2. What Makes Greenhouse Sense?
3. The Economic Diplomacy of Geoengineering
4. Intergenerational and International Discounting
Commitment as Self-Command
5. Self-Command in Practice, in Policy, and in a Theory of Rational Choice
6. Coping Rationally with Lapses from Rationality
7. Against Backsliding
8. Addictive Drugs: The Cigarette Experience
Society and Life
9. Life, Liberty, or the Pursuit of Happiness
10. Should Numbers Determine Whom to Save?
Economics and Social Policy
11. What Do Economists Know?
12. Why Does Economics Only Help with Easy Problems?
13. Prices as Regulatory Instruments
Weapons and Warfare
14. Meteors, Mischief, and War
15. Research by Accident
16. Vietnam: Reflections and Lessons
17. Social Mechanisms and Social Dynamics
18. Dynamic Models of Segregation
Decisions of the Highest Order
19. The Legacy of Hiroshima