June Biermann and Barbara Toohey are the authors of the bestsellers The Diabetic's Book and The Diabetic's Total Health and Happiness Book, as well as seven other health books. They live in California.
The Stroke Bookby June Biermann, Barbara Toohey
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, an American suffers a stroke every forty-five seconds. More than 700,000 Americans each year find themselves struggling to recover from this affliction—and many hundreds of thousands more are there to help them/b>
An indispensable, sensitive guide for stroke sufferers and those who care for them
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, an American suffers a stroke every forty-five seconds. More than 700,000 Americans each year find themselves struggling to recover from this affliction—and many hundreds of thousands more are there to help them mend.
June Biermann, a stroke survivor, and her coauthor—and caregiver—Barbara Toohey, authors of the bestselling Diabetic's Total Health and Happiness Book, offer this essential source for those recovering from a stroke and those providing them with support.
The Stroke Book offers readers:
- Clear explanations of the science of this often misunderstood condition
- Information on what to expect at the hospital and in rehabilitation
- Analyses of encouraging new developments in stroke therapy, including basic and alternative therapies, and traditional and cutting-edge medications
- Advice on coping with complex rehabilitation needs, including adjustments for nutrition, mobility, and everyday living, and on understanding after-stroke emotional and cognitive changes
- Suggestions for preventing future strokes
- Information on how people recovering from a stroke can reclaim their independence and quality of life—and how caregivers can manage their own stresses and sorrows
- Heartening words on keeping hope alive with patience and fortitude, and the curative power of humor
- Inspiring stories of the stroke and recovery experiences of well-known individuals
With stroke now the leading cause of serious, long-term disability in the United States, Biermann and Toohey's optimistic, user-friendly guide to living well after an attack is a vital tool for recovery.
- Penguin Publishing Group
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.06(w) x 5.50(h) x 0.71(d)
- Age Range:
- 18 - 14 Years
Meet the Author
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews