Structure & Function of the Body / Edition 13by Gary A. Thibodeau
Simple and straightforward, this introductory text provides a clear approach to learning the difficult concepts of anatomy and physiology. It focuses on two unifying themes - the normal structure and function of the human body, and what the body does to maintain homeostasis. Building on the solid foundation of previous editions, this book adds a visual emphasis with… See more details below
Simple and straightforward, this introductory text provides a clear approach to learning the difficult concepts of anatomy and physiology. It focuses on two unifying themes - the normal structure and function of the human body, and what the body does to maintain homeostasis. Building on the solid foundation of previous editions, this book adds a visual emphasis with realistic animations on a companion CD-ROM and A Clear View of the Human Body, a full-color, semi-transparent insert that shows the body in layers.
- A clear, straightforward approach focuses each chapter on the two core themes - the normal structure and function of the human body, and what the body does to maintain homeostasis.
- Over 350 full-color illustrations, micrographs, and dissection photos depict and reinforce information.
- Chapter tests, review questions, and critical thinking questions let you evaluate your mastery of each chapter's content.
- Boxes and tables make learning easier and show applications to real life, including Health and Well Being, Clinical Applications, and Research, Issues, and Trends.
- Science Applications boxes highlight the contributions made by trailblazing scientists.
- A Common Medical Abbreviations, Prefixes, and Suffixes appendix provides a quick reference and review of commonly used terms.
- A comprehensive glossary provides full definitions of terms, and new words are bolded within the text and listed at the end of each chapter.
- Objectives clearly detail what should be learned in each chapter.
- An Outline Summary ends each chapter to recap important content.
- Quick Check boxes let you assess your comprehension at the end of each passage.
- Body Spectrum Electronic Coloring Book is included on the companion CD, with 80 detailed anatomy illustrations that may be colored electronically or printed out to color and study.
- A richly detailed illustrated insert, A Clear View of the Human Body, allows you to peel back the layers of the body and perform a virtual dissection.
- AnimationDirect helps you visualize difficult concepts and processes by referring to state-of-the-art animations in the companion CD-ROM.
- Study Tips are thoroughly revised and now open each chapter, with specific tips and hints on how to most effectively study and synthesize concepts.
- Online Tutoring is available on the Evolve® website for students using the college edition.
- Anatomy & Physiology Online complements Structure & Function of the Body and brings the textbook to life with a series of online learning modules organized by body system. Available separately.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.20(w) x 10.30(h) x 1.20(d)
Table of Contents1. An Introduction to the Structure and Function of the Body
NEW! A Clear View of the Human Body
2. Chemistry of Life
3. Cells and Tissues
4. Organ Systems of the Body
5. The Integumentary System and Body Membranes
6. The Skeletal System
7. The Muscular System
8. The Nervous System
9. The Senses
10. The Endocrine System
12. The Circulatory System
13. The Lymphatic System and Immunity
14. The Respiratory System
15. The Digestive System
16. Nutrition and Metabolism
17. The Urinary System
18. Fluids and Electrolyte Balance
19. Acid-Base Balance
20. The Reproductive Systems
21. Growth and Development
Appendix A Body Mass Index
Appendix B Common Medical Abbreviations, Prefixes, and Suffixes
Chapter Test Answers
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >