The Student Leadership Challenge: Five Practices for Exemplary Leaders / Edition 1by James M. Kouzes, Barry Z. Posner
Pub. Date: 08/11/2008
Publisher: Wiley, John & Sons, Incorporated
Derived from the classic leadership book The Leadership Challenge, Fourth Edition, this is a concise, focused primer on the Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership for students. Grounded in the same extensive research as the best selling The Leadership Challenge, this book uses examples and language to which students in higher education can relate. It also features reflective and critical thinking activities at the end of each chapter to help students engage in each of the Five Practices.
- Can be used with all levels—from incoming first-year students to outgoing grads and young professionals
- Examples from both on-campus and off-campus venues, with particular emphasis on service-learning and effects of leadership in the surrounding community.
- Provides helpful and useful background on the instrument (Student LPI).
- The audio version of this book is available through your favorite online retailer.
Table of Contents1. Introduction: Getting Extraordinary Things Done in Organizations.
2. The Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership.
3. Model the Way.
Set the Example.
4. Inspire a Shared Vision.
Envision the Future.
5. Challenge the Process.
Search for Opportunities.
Experiment and Take Risks.
6. Enable Others to Act.
7. Encourage the Heart.
Celebrate the Values and Victories.
8. Leadership Is Everyone’s Business.
You Are the Most Important Leader in the Room.
Leadership is Learned.
First Lead Yourself.
Moral Leadership Calls Us to Higher Purpose.
Humility is the Antidote to Hubris.
Leadership Is in the Moment.
The Secret to Success in Life.
Appendix: The Student Leadership Practices Inventory.
About the Authors.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >