- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Ships from: acton, MA
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
"One of the most important and timely books ever written about what makes an engaged—and successful—student in today's colleges and universities. This book will undoubtedly join the ranks of groundbreaking prior works by Tinto, Astin, and Pascarella and Terenzini as an essential guide for higher education leaders, policymakers, and practitioners."
—Jamie P. Merisotis, president, Institute for Higher Education Policy, Washington, D.C.
"Kuh and his colleagues have turned a probing spotlight on the 'how' of pervasive educational change. Student Success in College should become a basic text for everyone concerned with the quality of undergraduate learning in the college years."
—Carol Geary Schneider, president, Association of American Colleges and Universities
"An invaluable work for campus retreats, self studies, assessment work, and any critical examination of your institution's approach to the undergraduate experience."
—John N. Gardner, executive director, Policy Center on the First Year of College, Brevard College
"A model for how qualitative research ought to be done."
—Peter T. Ewell, vice president, National Center for Higher Education Management Systems (NCHEMS)
"This very important work provides a roadmap for documenting effective educational practice and integrates real examples of how to foster high levels of learning, personal growth, and satisfaction for students while recognizing the importance of diversity."
—Alexander Gonzalez, president, California State University, Sacramento
PART ONE: INTRODUCTION.
1. Student Engagement: A Key to Student Success.
PART TWO: PROPERTIES AND CONDITIONS COMMON TO EDUCATIONALLY EFFECTIVE COLLEGES.
2. “Living” Mission and “Lived” Educational Philosophy.
3. An Unshakeable Focus on Student Learning.
4. Environments Adapted for Educational Enrichment.
5. Clear Pathways to Student Success.
6. An Improvement-Oriented Ethos.
7. Shared Responsibility for Educational Quality and Student Success.
PART THREE: EFFECTIVE PRACTICES USED AT DEEP COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES.
8. Academic Challenge.
9. Active and Collaborative Learning.
10. Student-Faculty Interaction.
11. Enriching Educational Experiences.
12. Supportive Campus Environment.
PART FOUR: SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS.
13. Principles for Promoting Student Success.
Appendix A: Research Methods.
Appendix B: Project DEEP Research Team.
Appendix C: National Survey of Student Engagement.