The Student's Guide to Cognitive Neuroscience 2nd Edition / Edition 2by Jamie Ward
Pub. Date: 03/01/2010
Publisher: Taylor & Francis
Reflecting recent changes in the way cognition and the brain are studied, this thoroughly updated edition of the best-selling textbook provides a comprehensive and student-friendly guide to cognitive neuroscience. Jamie Ward provides an easy-to-follow introduction to neural structure and function, as well as all the key methods and procedures of cognitive… See more details below
Reflecting recent changes in the way cognition and the brain are studied, this thoroughly updated edition of the best-selling textbook provides a comprehensive and student-friendly guide to cognitive neuroscience. Jamie Ward provides an easy-to-follow introduction to neural structure and function, as well as all the key methods and procedures of cognitive neuroscience, with a view to helping students understand how they can be used to shed light on the neural basis of cognition.
The book presents an up-to-date overview of the latest theories and findings in all the key topics in cognitive neuroscience, including vision, attention, memory, speech and language, numeracy, executive function, and social and emotional behavior. This edition also contains two completely new chapters on developmental cognitive neuroscience and hearing. Throughout, case studies, newspaper reports and everyday examples are used to help students understand the more challenging ideas that underpin the subject.
In addition each chapter includes:
- Summaries of key terms and points
- Example essay questions
- Recommended further reading
- Feature boxes exploring interesting and popular questions and their implications for the subject.
Written in an engaging style by a leading researcher in the field, and now presented in full-color including numerous illustrative materials, this book will be invaluable as a core text for undergraduate modules in cognitive neuroscience. It can also be used as a key text on courses in cognition, cognitive neuropsychology, or brain and behavior. Those embarking on research will find it an invaluable starting point and reference.
The Student’s Guide to Cognitive Neuroscience, 2nd Edition is accompanied by a set of online resources available free of charge to departments that recommend the textbook. These resources include:
- A chapter-by-chapter, illustrated slideshow lecture course
- A bank of multiple-choice questions which allow for confidence-weighted answers
- Student resources to aid exam preparation.
- Taylor & Francis
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.40(w) x 9.60(h) x 1.00(d)
Table of Contents
1. Introducing Cognitive Neuroscience. 2. Introducing the Brain. 3. The Electrophysiological Brain. 4. The Imaged Brain. 5. The Lesioned Brain. 6. The Seeing Brain. 7. The Spatial Brain. 8. The Acting Brain. 9. The Remembering Brain. 10. The Hearing Brain. 11. The Speaking Brain. 12. The Literate Brain. 13. The Numerate Brain. 14. The Executive Brain. 15. The Social and Emotional Brain. 16. The Developing Brain.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >