- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Supportive Care for the Renal Patient, Second Edition, provides a comprehensive, evidence-based overview of supportive care for the nephrology patient. An international group of contributors emphasize the continuum of palliative care from the time of diagnosis through to end-of-life care and the issues surrounding withdrawal of dialysis. The book addresses the psychological impact of the disease, the importance of involving the patient in making decisions about their care, ethical considerations, the role of the family, and the role of the multidisciplinary team.
This new edition includes two new chapters on conservative management of advanced kidney disease (AKD) and dialysis in the very elderly. The chapters covering non pain symptoms, advance care planning, quality of life, psychological and psychiatric consideration, and end-of-life care have also been completely revised to include new evidence and current thinking.
This book will be of particular interest to palliative care practitioners, nephrologists, who increasingly need to know more about palliative care, nurse practitioners, dialysis nurses, social workers, dieticians, and psychiatric consultants.
Introduction to ethical case analysis, Alvin Moss
1. Changing patterns of renal replacement therapy, David Ansell, S. Risdale and Fergus Caskey
2. The concept of supportive care for the renal patient, E. Joanna Chambers and Edwina Brow
3. Planning a renal palliative care programme and its components, Maria Da Silva-Gane and Lewis M. Cohen
4. Advance care planning in patients with end stage renal disease, Sara N. Davison, Jean L. Holley and Jane Seymour
5. What determines a good outcome?: the selection of patients for renal replacement therapy, Terry Feest
6. Health related quality of life and the patient with chronic kidney disease, Fredric O. Finkelstein and Susan H. Finkelstein
7. Symptoms in renal disease: their epidemiology, assessment and management, Fliss Murtagh and Steven Weisbord
8. Management of pain in renal failure, Sara N. Davison, E. Joanna Chambers and Charles J. Ferro
9. Psychological and psychiatric considerations in patients with advanced renal disease, Daniel Cukor, Eileen M. Farrell, Lewis M. Cohen and Paul L. Kimmel
10. Spiritual care of the renal patient, Chris Davies and Ira Byock
11. Support of the home dialysis patient, Alastair Hutchison and Helen Hurst
12. Initiation, withdrawal and withholding of dialysis: Part 1: Clinical; Part 2: Communicating with patients and family, Part 1 - Lionel U. Mailloux, Part 2 - Tom Sensky and Celia Eggeling
13. Conservative management of end stage kidneyd disease, Fliss Murtagh and Neil Sheerin
14. End stage renal disease in the older person, Edwina A. Brown
15. Death and end of life care in advanced kidney disease, Ken Farrington and E. Joanna Chambers