Surgical Technology: Principles and Practice / Edition 5by Joanna Kotcher Fuller
Pub. Date: 10/22/2009
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Learn to deliver the best patient care before, during, and after surgery with Surgical Technology: Principles and Practice, 7th Edition. Within its pages you’ll find comprehensive coverage of all the updated AST Core Curriculum components - including all aspects of health care sciences; technological sciences; patient care concepts; preoperative,/b>
Learn to deliver the best patient care before, during, and after surgery with Surgical Technology: Principles and Practice, 7th Edition. Within its pages you’ll find comprehensive coverage of all the updated AST Core Curriculum components - including all aspects of health care sciences; technological sciences; patient care concepts; preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative care; surgical procedures; and professional practice. But what you won’t find in any other surg tech book is an incredibly reader-friendly approach featuring conversational, mentor-like guidance and loads of full-color pictures and illustrations. You’ll also have an abundance of helpful learning features at your disposal - like case studies, review questions, technique boxes, and online learning activities - that will help you easily master important concepts and apply that learning to professional practice. No other surgical technology text better prepares you for the challenges of professional practice!
- Comprehensive coverage addresses all areas of the AST Core Curriculum for Surgical Technology.
- Reader-friendly writing style and organization utilizes a mentoring approach to present content within the building blocks of fundamentals, aseptic technique, the role and function of the surgical technologist, and surgical procedures.
- Consistent chapter format breaks down each surgical procedure in an easy-to-understand way making it easy for students to comprehend the key elements of more than 70 procedures.
- Experienced author/consulting editor team lends a breadth of experience for a well-rounded view of life in the operating room and multiple perspective focused on quality patient care.
- Over 1,200 full-color illustrations and clinical photos bring concepts and procedures to life.
- Robust practice opportunities include review questions and case studies at the end of each chapter along with crosswords, additional review questions, and a mock Certified Surgical Technologist (CST)-style examination found on the Evolve companion website.
- Learning objectives serve as checkpoints for comprehension and as study tools in preparation for examinations.
- Key terminology appears in boldface and in color within chapter discussions and are defined and cross-referenced to chapters in a back-of-book glossary.
- Key concepts are covered in a bulleted list at the end of each chapter discussion to summarize and rephrase chapter concepts.
- References and bibliographies provide a listing of in-text and additional citations of scientific research.
- Pathology appendix summarizes the most commonly seen pathological processes and organizes them by body system.
- Website mentions are highlighted within the text to draw readers’ attention to available videos in the Evolve Resources and suggested websites to visit for additional information on content covered.
- NEW! Content on dynamic topics focus on emerging areas of research and study including the latest equipment and technology, robotics and lasers, advances in orthopedic, cardiovascular, and neurological surgeries, and professionalism.
- NEW! Improved surgical procedures now incorporate pathology, technical points and discussion, as well as information on patient positioning, prepping, draping, incision, instruments, and supplies for each procedure.
- NEW! Instrument tables showcase relevant instruments and accompanying sizes in an illustrated style.
- NEW! Expanded technique boxes accompany each key skill in the text and succinctly summarize the key steps within each skill or procedure to highlight core competencies.
- NEW! Knowledge and skills review at the beginning of chapters alerts readers to key information and skills incorporated into chapter discussion.
- NEW! Updated artwork and photographs feature the most current supplies and equipment to vividly demonstrate aseptic technique, sterilization and disinfection, surgical instruments, patient positioning, skin preparation, and draping.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.70(w) x 11.20(h) x 2.00(d)
Table of ContentsPART I: SURGICAL TECHNOLOGY PRINCIPLES
1.The Surgical Technologist
2.Communication and Teamwork
3.Law, Documentation, and Professional Ethics
4.The Health Care Facility
6.Diagnostic and Assessment Procedures
8.Microbes and the Process of Infection
9.The Principles and Practice of Aseptic Technique
10.Decontamination, Sterilization, and Disinfection
13.Anesthesia and Physiological Monitoring
15.Death and Dying
16.Physics and Information Technology
17.Energy Sources in Surgery
18.Moving, Handling, and Positioning the Surgical Patient
19.Surgical Skin Preparation and Draping
20.Case Planning and Intraoperative Procedures
21.Management of the Surgical Wound
PART II: SURGICAL TECHNOLOGY PRACTICE
22.Minimally Invasive Endoscopic and Robotic-Assisted Surgery
24.Gynecological and Obstetrical Surgery
27.Surgery of the Ear, Nose, Pharynx, and Larynx
28.Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
29.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
31.Peripheral Vascular Surgery
32.Thoracic and Pulmonary Surgery
36.Emergency Trauma Surgery
37.Disaster Preparedness and Response
A.American Hospital Association Guideline for Patient Rights
C.Contents of Crash Cart
D.Drugs and Substances Associated with Surgery
F.Common Pathology by System
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >