Tappan's Handbook of Healing Massage Techniques: Classic, Holistic and Emerging Methods / Edition 4by Patricia J. Benjamin, Frances M. Tappan
Pub. Date: 06/16/2004
Publisher: Prentice Hall
The 4th edition of Tappan’s Handbook of Healing Massage Techniques continues to be an authoritative and comprehensive resource for massage therapy courses. This book lays the theoretical groundwork and provides detailed descriptions of techniques for Western and contemporary massage, Asian bodywork therapy and applications for special/sup>
The 4th edition of Tappan’s Handbook of Healing Massage Techniques continues to be an authoritative and comprehensive resource for massage therapy courses. This book lays the theoretical groundwork and provides detailed descriptions of techniques for Western and contemporary massage, Asian bodywork therapy and applications for special populations. Whether you are a licensed massage therapy practitioner, another health-related professional, or simply interested in basic massage therapy techniques, this is the book for you.
New to this Edition:
- Accompanying CD-ROM–provides instructional video of the most common massage techniques to provide readers with a visual aid to accompany chapter content.
- Includes the Wellness Massage Pyramid which introduces a new model for the understanding the broad scope of massage therapy based on the wellness perspective.
- End-of-chapter Study Outlines provide students and instructors with useful tools for identifying, understanding and learning the content of each chapter.
- Chapters on the effects of massage and clinical applications of massage provide extensive documentation of research.
- New chapters on Hydrotherapy and Thermal Therapy and Asian Bodywork Therapy are included.
- New Appendix A: 25 Forms of Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork provides students a survey of the 25 most important forms of massage and bodywork with sources of additional information.
- Prentice Hall
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Fourth Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.46(w) x 10.70(h) x 1.10(d)
Table of Contents
|Frances M. Tappan Remembered||xxv|
|1||Healing Massage--A Wellness Perspective||1|
|2||History of Massage||19|
|3||Effects and Benefits of Massage||41|
|4||Clinical Applications of Massage||66|
|5||Endangerment Sites, Contraindications, and Cautions||79|
|6||Guidelines for Giving Massage||90|
|Part II||Western Massage|
|7||Western Massage Techniques||125|
|9||Full-Body Western Massage||174|
|Part III||Contemporary Massage and Bodywork|
|13||Neuromuscular Therapy (NMT): Trigger Points||257|
|14||Lymphatic Drainage Massage||268|
|Part IV||Asian Bodywork Tradition|
|17||Asian Bodywork Therapy--Theory||311|
|18||Amma: Traditional Japanese Massage||338|
|19||Zen Shiatsu: An Overview||350|
|20||Jin Shin Do||363|
|Part V||Applications of Massage|
|21||Sports and Fitness||379|
|22||Mother and Child||389|
|24||Terminally Ill and Dying||414|
|25||Seated Massage in the Workplace||421|
|26||The Art of Healing Touch||430|
|A||25 Forms of Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork||435|
|B||Organizations and Publications||443|
|C||Massage Licensing Laws in North America||447|
|D||Performance Evaluation Forms||451|
|E||Health History Forms||459|
|F||List of Figures and Tables||459|
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >