Teacher's Guide to Success / Edition 1by Ellen L. Kronowitz
How do successful teachers become successful? What skills do they have and which resources do they use? Dr. Ellen Kronowitz explores the keys to successful teaching and offers a realistic view of today’s classrooms and presents a very practical approach to preparing to teach. Pre-service and in-service teachers alike are provided tried and true… See more details below
How do successful teachers become successful? What skills do they have and which resources do they use? Dr. Ellen Kronowitz explores the keys to successful teaching and offers a realistic view of today’s classrooms and presents a very practical approach to preparing to teach. Pre-service and in-service teachers alike are provided tried and true experienced-based suggestions and research-based strategies and solutions to meet classroom challenges.
Organized by 8 topical units that address common, overriding concerns in the classroom, teachers are taken from the first day to the end of the school year. Each of the brief chapters within each unit simplifies the complex challenges teachers face including: having a successful first day, organizing the classroom with proven routines and procedures, disciplining students in a respectful and positive manner, mapping out a differentiated curriculum, teaching with proven research-based strategies, assessing student learning, working with parents, preparing students for standardized tests, addressing the personal and professional needs of teachers, and much more. Paired with a powerful DVD that comes with every book, readers are provided with tips from leading authorities in education, examples from live classrooms, and printable resources ready for immediate use in the classroom.
Table of Contents
UNIT I. INTRODUCTION.
1. How Does Teaching Differ from Student Teaching?
2. What Are Some Challenges for the Reflective Teacher?
3. What Are Some Key Research Findings About The Induction Year?
4. How Can I Plan Ahead for My First Day?
UNIT II. FIRST DAY
5. What 10 Principles Should Guide My First Day?
6. How Do I Arrange and Assign Seats?
7. What Should I Wear and What Should I Say?
8. How Do I Learn Students’ Names and How Do They Learn Each Other’s Names?
9. How Do I Establish Rules and Discipline the First Day?
UNIT III. CLASSROOM ORGANIZATION AND MANAGEMENT .
10. How Do I Accessorize the Classroom with Bulletin Boards and Extras?
11. How Do I Establish and Maintain Routines for Entrances/Exits, Beginning and Ending the Day?
12. What Are Some Routines for Materials and Movement Around the Room?
13. What Instructional Routines Will I Need?
14. How Can I Engage Students in Operating the Classroom?
15. How Do I Manage Technology in My Classroom?
UNIT IV. POSITIVE DISCIPLINE.
16. What Are the Two Main Views of Changing Behavior?
17. What Are Some Causes of Misbehavior?
18. How Can I Prevent Discipline Problems Before They Start?
19. What Teacher Behaviors Lead to a Positive Classroom Climate?
20. What Are Some Non-Verbal Strategies to Maintain Order and Some Responses to Avoid?
UNIT V. PLANNING AND ORGANIZING SUBJECT MATTER
21. How Do I Align State Standards and Fit Everything In?
22. How Do I Write Monthly, Daily, Weekly, and Unit Plans?
23. How Do I Gather Materials and Resources to Support My Instruction?
24. How Do I Plan for Substitutes and Classroom Aides?
UNIT VI. ENGAGING ALL LEARNERS.
25. How Do I Communicate Positive Expectations to My Students?
26. What Research-based Strategies Should I Consider?
27. How Can I Organize Cooperative Learning Groups?
28. How Do I Differentiate Instruction to Meet the Needs of All Learners?
29. What Strategies Are Effective for English Language Learners?
UNIT VII. ASSESSING AND COMMUNICATING STUDENT PROGRESS.
30. How Does Authentic Assessment Differ From Standardized Assessment?
31. How Can I Assess Student Interests and Attitudes?
32. What Are Some Paperwork and Grading Shortcuts?
33. How Can I Prepare My Students for Taking Tests?
34. How Can I Enlist Parent Support and Communicate with Parents?
UNIT VIII. PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
35. What Is Reflective Practice and How Do I Engage In It?
36. How Do I Establish Relationships with Administrators and Colleagues?
37. How Can I Manage My Time and Balance My Life?
38. How Can I Manage Stress?
39. What Professional Opportunities are Open to Me?
40. Now It’s Time to Teach!
EPILOGUE: The Last Days of School: Closing Out a Successful Year
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >