Technical English: Writing, Reading, and Speaking / Edition 7by Nell Ann Pickett, Ann A. Laster
Pub. Date: 01/07/1997
Publisher: Longman Publishing Group
This new edition retains much of the vision of the previous editions-it encompasses written, oral, and visual communication-but also reflects current practices in the field of technical writing, with continued emphasis on workplace communication The focus remains on the entire writing process from planning through revision, with topics discussed including, defining technical communication, the workplace audience, developing a clear, direct communication style, information design, graphics as a means to support and clarify information, technology, the technical writing process including planning and drafting, and reviewing and revising. For anyone interested in improving his or her writing.
- Longman Publishing Group
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.28(w) x 9.00(h) x 1.17(d)
Table of Contents
I: FORMS OF COMMUNICATION.
1. Instructions and Process: Explaining a Procedure.
2. Description of a Mechanism: Explaining How Something Works.
3. Definition: Explaining What Something Is.
4. Analysis Through Classification and Partition: Putting Things in Order.
5. Analysis Through Effect-Cause and Comparison-Contrast: Looking at Details.
6. The Summary: Getting to the Heart of the Matter.
7. Memorandums and Letters: Sending Messages.
8. Reports: Conveying Needed Information.
9. The Research Report: Becoming Acquainted with Resource Materials.
10. Oral Communication: Saying It Clearly.
11. Visuals: Seeing Is Convincing.
II: SELECTED READINGS.
Clear Only If Known, Edgar Dale.
Battle for the Soul of the Internet, Philip Elmer-Dewitt.
The Powershift Era, Alvin Toffler.
Hardest Lessons for First-Time Managers, Linda A. Hill.
Quality, John Galsworthy.
Excerpt from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert M. Pirsig.
The Science of Deduction, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Are You Alive?, Stuart Chase.
Clear Writing Means Clear Thinking Means..., Marvin H. Swift.
A Technical Writer Considers His Latest Love Object, Chick Wallace.
Blue Heron, Chick Wallace.
The Effects of Perceived Justice on Complainants' Negative Word-of-Mouth Behavior and Repatronage Intentions, Jeffrey G. Blodgett, Donald H. Granbois, and Rockney G.Walters.
Excerpt from Non-Medical Lasers: Everyday Life in a New Light, Rebecca D. Williams.
"Journeying Through the Cosmos" from The Shores of the Cosmic Ocean, Carl Sagan.
"Work" from The Book of Virtues, William J. Bennett.
The Active Document: Making Pages Smarter, David J. Weinberger.
The Power of Mistakes, Stephen Nachmanovitch.
Self-Motivation: Ten Techniques for Activating or Freeing the Spirit, Richard L. Weaver.
III: REVISING AND EDITING.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >