- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Ships from: SUNNY ISLES BEACH, FL
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
Ships from: Fayetteville, AR
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
Ten Steps to Advancing College Reading Skills, Fifth Edition, is one of the most popular books in the Ten Steps college reading skills series. It can be used as either a core or an advanced developmental reading text.Key Features
• Focus on the Basics. Ten Steps to Advancing College Reading Skills explains in an extremely clear, step-by-step way the ten skills most needed for literal and critical reading comprehension. Many examples, practices, tests, and comments are provided to ensure that students understand and master each skill. In general, the focus is on teaching the skills, not just on explaining or testing them.
• High Interest Level. The readings in the book have been chosen not only for the appropriateness of their reading level but also for their compelling content. They should engage teachers and students alike. Your students will never be bored by the practice materials in this or any other TP book.
• Integration of Skills. Students do more than learn the skills individually in Part I. They also learn to apply the skills together through the reading selections in Parts I and II as well as through the combined-skills tests in Part III. They become effective readers and thinkers by means of a good deal of practice in applying a combination of skills.
• Clarity and Friendliness. Exceptional clarity has always been a hallmark of John Langan’s books—in the step-by-step explanations for each skill, in the logically sequenced materials, and even in the care given to the questions and answer choices in the activities.
Countless numbers of teachers have praised the friendly and helpful tone of John Langan’s books—a tone that never condescends to students. This revised book is no exception. In addition, the human content of the paragraphs and longer selections will definitely appeal to you and your students.
Preface: To the Instructor
How to Become a Better Reader and Thinker
Some Quick Study Tips
The Power of Reading
Ten Steps to Advancing College Reading Skills
1. Vocabulary in Context
Reading: All Washed Up? – Sara Hansen
2. Main Ideas
Reading: How Dual-Earner Couples Cope – Diane E. Papalia and Sally Wendkos Olds
3. Supporting Details
Reading: Baby Love – Mary M. Gergen et al.
4. Implied Main Ideas
Reading: Personal Relationships in the Not-So-Good Old Days – Rodney Stark
5. Relationships I
Reading: Julia Burney: The Power of a Woman’s Dream – Beth Johnson
6. Relationships II
Reading: The Influence of the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy – Ronald B. Adler and Neil Towne
Reading: What Shamu Taught Me – Amy Sutherland
8. Purpose and Tone
Reading: Hard Times, a Helping Hand – Ted Gup
Reading: Obedience: Milgram’s Controversial Studies – Mary M. Gergen et al.
10. Critical Reading
Reading: Managing Conflicts in Relationships – Rudolph F. Verderber
Ten Reading Selections
1. The Professor Is a Dropout – Beth Johnson
2. Taming the Anger Monster – Anne Davidson
3. He Was First – John Kellmayer
4. My Father’s Hands – Calvin R. Worthington
5. Motivation and Needs – Virginia Quinn
6. Effects of the Automobile – James M. Henslin
7. Rabies – Robert Berkow, M.D., ed.
8. Bad Managers – Michael W. Drafke and Stan Kossen
9. Busy As a Bee? Then Who’s Doing the Work? – Natalie Angier
10. Stepping into the Light – Tanya Savory
For Further Study
More about Summarizing and Outlining
Additional Tests on Fact and Opinion
Four Additional Readings
Limited Answer Key
Reading Performance Chart
Posted February 6, 2013
No text was provided for this review.