- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
In this text, author Neil J. Salkind guides readers through the fundamentals of tests and measurement, using the conversational writing style and straightforward presentation techniques that has made his book Statistics for People Who (Think They) Hate Statistics a bestseller. Tests & Measurement For People Who (Think They) Hate Tests & Measurement provides an overview of the many different facets of testing including the design and use of tests and some of the basic social, political, and legal issues that the process of testing involves. This engaging text introduces students to advanced issues and explains why those topics are important.
A Note to the Student: Why I Wrote This Book Acknowledgments Part I. In the Beginning . . .
1. Why Me-asurement? An Introduction Part II. The Psychology of Psychometrics
2. One Potato, Two Potatoes . . . Levels of Measurement and Their Importance
3. Getting It Right Every Time: Reliability and Its Importance
4. The Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing But the Truth: Validity and Its Importance
5. Welcome to Lake Woebegone, Where All the Children Are Above Average: Norms and Percentiles Part III. The Tao and How of Testing
6. Short Answer and Completion Items: Baskin Robbins® Has __ Flavors
7. Essay Items: Hope You Can Write
8. Multiple-Choice Items: Always Pick Answer C and You’ll Be Right About 25% of the Time
9. Matchmaker, Matchmaker, Make Me a Match: Matching Items
10. True-False Tests: T or F? I Passed My First Measurement Test
11. Portfolios: Seeing the Big Picture
12. So, Tell Me About Your Childhood: Interesting Interviews Part IV. What to Test and How to Test It
13. Achievement Tests: Who Really Discovered America?
14. Personality Tests: Type A, Type B, or Type C?
15. Aptitude Tests: What’s in Store for Me?
16. Intelligence Tests: That Rubik’s Cube Is Driving Me Nuts
17. Career Choices: So You Want to Be a What?
Part V. It’s Not Always As You Think: Issues in Tests and Measurements
18. Test Bias: Fair for Everyone?
19. The Law, Testing, and Ethics: No Child (Should Be) Left Behind and Other Concerns Appendixes Appendix A: Your Tests and Measurement Toolkit Appendix B: The Guide to (Almost) Every Test in the Universe Glossary References Index About the Author