Texas Wildflowers: A Field Guideby Campbell Loughmiller, Lynn Loughmiller
For two decades and counting, Texans have relied on Texas Wildflowers to identify the common and rare flowers we see along the roadsides and in the pastures, fields, and forests of our state. Compiled by naturalists Campbell and Lynn Loughmiller, with the technical assistance of Lynn Sherrod, Texas Wildflowers is an authoritative field/cite>/cite>… See more details below
For two decades and counting, Texans have relied on Texas Wildflowers to identify the common and rare flowers we see along the roadsides and in the pastures, fields, and forests of our state. Compiled by naturalists Campbell and Lynn Loughmiller, with the technical assistance of Lynn Sherrod, Texas Wildflowers is an authoritative field guide with a personal touch in the many notes the Loughmillers included about the plants they described and photographed.
This new edition of Texas Wildflowers retains the charm of the Loughmillers' book while emphasizing 61 additional species and bringing the plant taxonomy and nomenclature up to date. Like its predecessor, it includes all the features you need to identify the wildflowers of Texas:
- 381 full-color, close-up photos that show every wildflower in the book, including over 200 photos that are new to this edition.
- 370 species accounts that include the plant's scientific and common names, a description of its appearance, and its range, habitat, and blooming season.
- Descriptions of 73 wildflower families, from Acanthaceae to Zygophyllaceae.
- Indexes to help you identify flowers by their Latin name and common name.
- A guide to taxonomic updates in this edition.
- A map, glossary, illustrated glossary, and bibliography for further reading.
Lady Bird Johnson, author of the first edition's foreword, says of this new edition of Texas Wildflowers, "How delighted I am the University of Texas Press and the Wildflower Center are preserving Campbell and Lynn Loughmiller's legacy by revising and updating this beautiful and invaluable book about Texas wildflowers! Not only does it contain a wealth of knowledge, it also awakens our awareness of the splendor of nature and joyous lift of spirit it brings."
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >