Textbook of Physical Diagnosis: History and Examinationby Mark H. Swartz
Derive the maximum diagnostic information from interviewing and examining patients with Textbook of Physical Diagnosis. Employing a compassionate, humanistic approach, Dr. Swartz explores how cultural differences can influence communication, diet, family relationships, and health practices and beliefs, and demonstrates that your/b>/i>/b>… See more details below
Derive the maximum diagnostic information from interviewing and examining patients with Textbook of Physical Diagnosis. Employing a compassionate, humanistic approach, Dr. Swartz explores how cultural differences can influence communication, diet, family relationships, and health practices and beliefs, and demonstrates that your interpersonal awareness is just as essential in physical diagnosis as your level of technical skill. This medical reference book features numerous high-quality color images, an easy-to-use design, and detailed descriptions of exam techniques, making it an essential guide for physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants.
- Consult this title on your favorite e-reader, conduct rapid searches, and adjust font sizes for optimal readability.
- Learn about special considerations related to patient’s unique situations, such as cultural differences, nutritional status, and overall health, which may affect your approach to their treatment.
- Understand the causes of the symptoms you encounter with Pathophysiology explanations.
- Easily review illustrated components with abundant color photographs capturing the true appearance of various diseases.
- Access coverage of complementary and alternative medicine so you can be alerted to the clinical implications of these increasingly popular modalities.
- Communicate effectively in Spanish. An appendix on the examination of Spanish-speaking patients provides translations for commonly used medical phrases and questions.
- Provide the best medical care through the art of interviewing and physical examination with the most recent coverage of relevant physical diagnosis standards and tests, as well as detailed discussions of key exam techniques.
- View examination techniques and clinical presentations more clearly than ever before with help from high-quality color images, over 900 photographs, and line art supplementing the detailed text.
- Stream more than 3 hours of in-depth video at Student Consult.
Description: This is a comprehensive textbook of physical diagnosis, organized by organ system. This is the third edition; previous editions were published in 1989 and 1994.
Purpose: The author's stated purpose is to integrate pathophysiology and the humanistic element with the technique of the physical examination.
Audience: Although the author cites "all students of health care" as his audience, the depth and breadth of the text, as well as the historical references, indicate that medical students learning physical diagnosis are the primary audience.
Features: The section on patient interviewing includes an entire chapter on cultural issues. The 15 chapters on examination techniques all use the same format, proceeding from a review of relevant anatomy, physiology, and symptomatology, to a discussion of the impact of disease on patients, to the physical examination techniques themselves, and finally to clinicopathological correlations. There are many more photographs of important findings than in the previous edition. The last section includes a brief, clear synopsis of clinical epidemiology as used in diagnostic reasoning.
Assessment: By integrating physical exam techniques with history, pathophysiology, and clinical reasoning, this text serves as a comprehensive introduction to clinical medicine. This third edition adds many useful illustrations and significant new material on cultural issues, post-traumatic stress disorder, and the care of acutely ill patients.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- File size:
- 67 MB
- This product may take a few minutes to download.
What People are saying about this
What makes this a superior textbook to others... is the clarity, structure, and content that it provides.
It is both an excellent adjunct to hands-on physical examination sessions and a basic review for the practicing physician.
The standard by which other books in this field will be judged.
An exciting, readable, and superbly informative book already well on its way to becoming the Gray's Anatomy of physical diagnosis.
Organization, ample use of color illustrations, easy readability, a practical clinicopathologic approach, and a patient-centered philosophy make Textbook of Physical Diagnosis the premier book in its field.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >