- Carmen, opéra-comique in 4 acts: Prelude
- La Traviata, opera: Brindisi
- La bohème, opera: Che gelida manina
- Lakmé, opera: Flower Duet
- Fedora, opera: Amor ti vieta
- Carmen, opéra-comique in 4 acts: Habanera
- Nabucco, opera (Nabucodonosor): Chorus Of The Hebrew Slaves
- Le nozze di Figaro (The Marriage of Figaro), opera, K. 492: Dove sono
- Rigoletto, opera: La donna è mobile
- Lohengrin, opera, WWV 75: Bridal Chorus
- Gianni Schicchi, opera: O mio babbino caro
- Il barbière di Siviglia (The Barber of Seville), opera: Largo al factotum
- La Wally, opera: Ebben?...Ne andro lontana
- Madama Butterfly (Madame Butterfly), opera: Humming Chorus
- Carmen, opéra-comique in 4 acts: Flower Song
- Les Contes d'Hoffmann, opera in 4 acts: Barcarolle
- Tosca, opera: E lucevan le stelle
- Madama Butterfly (Madame Butterfly), opera: Un bel di
- Les Pêcheurs de perles, opera in 3 acts: Au fond du temple saint
- Die Walküre (The Valkyrie), opera, WWV 86b: The Ride Of The Valkyries
- Le nozze di Figaro (The Marriage of Figaro), opera, K. 492: Voi che sapete
- Pagliacci, opera: Recitar!...Vesti la giubba
- La bohème, opera: O soave fanciulla
- Il Trovatore, opera: Anvil Chorus
- Manon Lescaut, opera: Donna non vidi mai
- Don Giovanni, opera, K. 527: La ci darem la mano
- Mattinata, song for voice & piano (or orchestra)
- Faust, opera: Soldiers' Chorus
- L'Elisir d'amore, opera: Una furtiva lagrima
- Turandot, opera: Signore, ascolta!
- Don Giovanni, opera, K. 527: Champagne Aria
- Così fan tutte, opera, K. 588: Soave sia il vento
- Il Trovatore, opera: Di quella pira
- Tosca, opera: Vissi d'arte
- Carmen, opéra-comique in 4 acts: Toreador song
- Madama Butterfly (Madame Butterfly), opera: Love Duet
- Cavalleria rusticana, opera in 1 act: Intermezzo
- Rusalka, opera, B. 203 (Op. 114): O silver moon
- La bohème, opera: Si, mi chiamano Mimi
- Turandot, opera: Nessun dorma
The #1 Opera Album
With 40 tracks of operatic favorites, this double-disc album is a festival of hits. There are famous arias: Rodolfo's "Che gelida manina" from Bohème (Luciano Pavarotti) and Mimi's reply, "Mi chiamano" (Angela Gheorghiu); Madame Butterfly's "Un bel di" (Mirella Freni); and Cavaradossi's "E lecuvan le stelle" from Tosca (Placido Domingo). There are famous choruses: "Va pensiero" from Verdi's Nabucco, the "Bridal Chorus" from Wagner's Lohengrin, and the "Anvil Chorus" from Trovatore. And there are great moments for the orchestra, too: Bizet's Overture to Carmen, Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries," and the Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana. You'll find celebrated voices from the past -- Jussi Björling in Fedora's "Amor ti vieta" and Joan Sutherland in the "Flower Duet" from Lakme -- as well as latter-day stars: Cecilia Bartoli in Mozart's "Voi che sapete" from the Marriage of Figaro and Andrea Bocelli in Leoncavallo's "Mattinata." Decca wasted no space with this compilation. Every selection is an operatic gem, culled from the catalogue of one of classical music's foremost record labels. But how should such a hit parade end? With Pavarotti, of course, singing "Nessun dorma" for all it's worth.
- Release Date:
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews
Too often the best singers of a given aria were not used. There are so many better cds than this one. Aria; a Passion for Opera has much better versions of some of these arias. All you have to do to understand what I am talking about is to play the two versions of 'Di quella pira'.
If you are interested in getting into Opera and don't know where to start, this would be a great CD to get. It gives a good broad look at Opera, and you will be suprised how many tracks sound familiar.
You will have a passion for Italian Opera forever! Placido Domingo in Tosca (17), or Luciano Pavarotti in Pagliacci(3) ...BEAUTIFUL!
My husband and I have always enjoyed opera and classical, as do our children. This was the CD that we chose to introduce our children to opera, and they loved it. It has classic and well-known pieces and arias that are easy to enjoy, even at a young age. Ages of our children when we started them on opera ? Ages 2,3 and 5 respectively...and they will choose this CD over Barney or Silly Songs anytime !
This compilation is extraordinary! It contains the highlights from all my favorite operas, as well as a few new ones. This is a must-have for any opera lover, or anyone who is new to the genre!