The Athletic Horse: Principles and Practice of Equine Sports Medicine / Edition 1by David R. Hodgson, Reuben J. Rose
Showing how to maximize performance in horses, The Athletic Horse: Principles and Practice of Equine Sports Medicine, 2nd Edition describes sports training regimens and how to reduce musculoskeletal injuries. Practical coverage addresses the anatomical and physiological basis of equine exercise and performance, centering on evaluation, imaging,/b>/b>… See more details below
Showing how to maximize performance in horses, The Athletic Horse: Principles and Practice of Equine Sports Medicine, 2nd Edition describes sports training regimens and how to reduce musculoskeletal injuries. Practical coverage addresses the anatomical and physiological basis of equine exercise and performance, centering on evaluation, imaging, pharmacology, and training recommendations for sports such as racing and show jumping. Now in full color, this edition includes new rehabilitation techniques, the latest imaging techniques, and the best methods for equine transportation. Written by expert educators Dr. David Hodgson, Dr. Catherine McGowan, and Dr. Kenneth McKeever, with a panel of highly qualified contributing authors.
- Expert international contributors provide cutting-edge equine information from the top countries in performance-horse research: the U.S., Australia, U.K., South Africa, and Canada.
- The latest nutritional guidelines maximize the performance of the equine athlete.
- Extensive reference lists at the end of each chapter provide up-to-date resources for further research and study.
- NEW full-color photographs depict external clinical signs, allowing more accurate clinical recognition.
- NEW and improved imaging techniques maximize your ability to assess equine performance.
- UPDATED drug information is presented as it applies to treatment and to new regulations for drug use in the equine athlete.
- NEW advances in methods of transporting equine athletes ensure that the amount of stress on the athlete is kept to a minimum.
- NEW rehabilitation techniques help toprepare the equine athlete for a return to the job.
- Two NEW authors, Dr. Catherine McGowan and Dr. Kenneth McKeever, are highly recognized experts in the field.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.46(w) x 10.62(h) x 1.17(d)
Table of Contents
|1||An Overview of Performance and Sports Medicine||3|
|2||Comparative Aspects of Exercise Physiology||13|
|3||Biomechanics, Gait, and Conformation||27|
|4||Energetics and Performance||49|
|5||Hematology and Biochemistry||63|
|6||The Respiratory System: Anatomy, Physiology, and Adaptations to Exercise and Training||79|
|7||The Cardiovascular System: Anatomy, Physiology, and Adaptations to Exercise and Training||129|
|8||Muscle Anatomy, Physiology, and Adaptations to Exercise and Training||145|
|10||Nutrition and the Athletic Horse||205|
|11||Evaluation of Performance Potential||231|
|12||Clinical Exercise Testing||245|
|13||Investigation of Poor Performance||259|
|14A||Diagnostic Imaging in the Athletic Horse: Radiology||267|
|14B||Diagnostic Imaging in the Athletic Horse: Musculoskeletal Ultrasonography||297|
|14C||Diagnostic Imaging in the Athletic Horse: Scintigraphy||327|
|15||Lameness: Approaches to Therapy and Rehabilitation||343|
|17A||Training Regimens: Physiologic Adaptations to Training||379|
|17B||Training Regimens: Overview||387|
|17C||Training Thoroughbred Racehorses||393|
|17D||Training Standardbred Trotters and Pacers||399|
|17E||Training Endurance Horses||409|
|17F||Training the Event Horse||419|
|17G||Training Show Jumpers||429|
|18||Drugs and Performance||439|
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >