The Back-Country Kitchen: Camp Cooking for Canoeists, Hikers and Anglersby Teresa Marrone
The Back-Country Kitchen will appeal to all outdoors enthusiasts who prepare
- LendMe LendMe™ Learn More
This best-selling 208-page paperback book has been formatted especially for easy use and navigation on the Nook. It features clickable cross-reference links to recipes and techniques throughout the book, along with more than 50 helpful color photographs showing numerous techniques.
The Back-Country Kitchen will appeal to all outdoors enthusiasts who prepare meals in the wild, but especially to those who want to pack their own lightweight meals. It contains over 150 tested, unique recipes including camp breads, hearty chowders, one-pot main dishes, desserts, beverages... even adaptations of international favorites, as well as special recipes using fresh-caught fish.
Beat the cost of freeze-dried meals! You'll learn how to pack your own flavorful, lightweight mixes from readily bought ingredients; you'll also learn how to add variety to your menu by drying foods at home (the book includes complete, easy instructions for drying vegetables, fruits and meat in your oven or in a small home dehydrator).
Learn special camp cooking techniques, including open-fire cookery, using a camp oven, and meal management with a single-burner stove.
Here are just a few of the recipes you'll find in The Back-Country Kitchen:
• BREAKFASTS including Blueberry Scones, Southwestern Omelette, Maple-Stewed Apples and Breakfast Tortilla Roll-Ups
• CAMP BREADS including Beer-Rye Campfire Bannock, Italian Stick Bread, Chinese Scallion Bread and Rosemary-Parmesan Focaccia
• SOUPS including Borscht, Potato-Dill Chowder, Beef-Barley Soup with Caraway Dumplings and Clam Chowder
• SIDE DISHES including Hopping John, Tabouli Salad, Ramen-Cabbage Salad, Beets and Carrots with Lemon-Thyme Sauce and Herbed Vegetables Roasted in Foil
• MAIN DISHES including Upside-Down Sloppy Joes, Chicken with Stuffing and Gravy, Mushroom Spaghetti and Lentil-Bulgur Chili
• INTERNATIONAL-STYLE RECIPES including Frijoles Borrachos, Trail Kung Pao Chicken, Hunan-Style Lamb Stir-Fry and Indian Chicken with Potatoes
• FISH AND GAME RECIPES including Northwoods Guide's Fish Fry, Easy Rack-Grilled Fish, Cajun Venison Tenderloin and Grouse à la King
• BEVERAGES and DESSERTS including "Dreamsicle" Shake, Spicy Tomato Juice/Bloody Mary Mix, Cheesecake-in-a-Bowl and English Muffin Pies
• MISCELLANEOUS DISHES and make-at-home dishes such as Garlic Heads Roasted in Foil, Hummus, Red Wine Biscotti and Breakfast Cookies
Whether you explore the wilderness from a canoe, mountain bike or on foot--even if you just enjoy getting away from it all for a weekend at your favorite campground--this book will show you new ways to add excitement and taste to every back-country meal.
- Northern Trails Press
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- Sales rank:
- File size:
- 2 MB
Meet the Author
Teresa Marrone is the author of more than a dozen outdoors-related cookbooks, as well as a series of field ID guides for wild berries and fruits. Recipes in The Back-Countru Kitchen were field-tested in locations including The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (Minnesota), Quetico Provincial Park (Ontario, Canada), the high desert plains of Wyoming, the Rocky Mountains, and various campsites ranging from those in national, state and municipal parks to wilderness locations along fishing lakes, whitewater rivers, and hiking trails.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >