Read an Excerpt
WHOLE GROUP DISCUSSION
1. Have you ever tried to read the entire Bible before? Why or why not?
2. If you have tried to read the Bible in its entirety, what challenges did you face in fulfilling your desire? Where did you start? How far did you get?
3. What have you found to be difficult and rewarding in your attempts to read the Bible regularly?
4. If you have successfully read the entire Bible before, what were the circumstances? What motivated you to keep at it? How satisfied were you with your accomplishment?
5. If you have started to read the Bible but have never completed your reading goal, what really kept you from finishing what you started?
6. Why do you believe it is important to read the entire Bible? What do you expect to discover in terms of practical living, spiritual growth, or knowledge of history, or other areas?
7. What is most intimidating about the prospect of reading the entire Bible in 90 days?
8. What most excites you about the prospect of reading the entire Bible in 90 days?
ON YOUR OWN BETWEEN SESSIONS
This Week's Reading Tips
? Memorize your mission, which is: to read, attentively, every word of the Bible in 90 days.
? Don't expect to be able to consciously recall everything you read. At this point, focus on what you can recall and don't worry about the rest.
? Don't expect to understand everything you read. Pay attention to what you do understand and don't worry about the rest.
? At least once during this week, try breaking up your daily reading into two or more sessions.
Genesis is the book of beginnings and sets the stage for everything that follows in the Bible. It establishes God as the creator of all that is --- in heaven, on earth, and beyond. It focuses on the essential rela tionship of humanity, the relationship between God and the people he created. In Genesis we see Satan entice Adam and Eve to disobey God, which establishes the central conflict of human history. The remainder of the Bible is the story of how God resolves that loss of relationship throughout human history.
Exodus is not only the story of Israel's departure from the land of Egypt, it is the story of Israel's departure from the lifestyle of Egypt. It is not merely a journey of time and distance, it is a journey of the heart as a holy God prepares his chosen people to live the life he offers in the land he has provided. What a journey it is as God reveals himself and invites his people into relationship with him!
Read This Week
Pages 1 -- 84 of the NIV Bible in 90 Days (Gen. 1:1 -- Ex. 40:38)
17 S E S S I O N 1
If it is helpful to do so, use the following chart to record your read ing progress this week. Establish a reading schedule that works well for you --- then stick with it. Try to make it a habit to pray before you begin reading each day, asking God to use his Word to instruct and guide you.