- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Beer Drinkers of the World, Unite!
The Big Book O’ Beer is an extravagant full-color celebration of the Greatest Beverage on Earth, complete with hundreds of dazzling photographs and countless little-known facts. Author Duane Swierczynski takes readers around the world—and through ten thousand years of history—for a beer-fueled ...
Ships from: acton, MA
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
Beer Drinkers of the World, Unite!
The Big Book O’ Beer is an extravagant full-color celebration of the Greatest Beverage on Earth, complete with hundreds of dazzling photographs and countless little-known facts. Author Duane Swierczynski takes readers around the world—and through ten thousand years of history—for a beer-fueled tour of:
• History: Who invented beer? Who started the first Oktoberfest? And which U.S. president proposed a national brewery?
• Geography: See the world from your La-Z-Boy. Tour the world’s coolest pubs, visit exotic breweries, and sample the best beers you’ve never heard of. From Ireland and Australia to the Dominican Republic, we’ve got your glass covered.
• Connoisseurship: Learn the difference between an ale and a lager (it’s all in the yeast!) and kick back with the ten biggest brewers on Earth. Plus a five-step program for sounding like a beer snob.
• Crafts and Gear: The coolest beer gear on Earth—from mugs and steins to clocks, funnels, and goofy hats. Plus instructions for transforming your empties into dazzling arts and crafts.
• Science: Where does foam come from? Why does beer give us large bellies? How come I get beer goggles when I drink? And why don’t they teach this stuff in high school?
• Arts and Entertainment: The greatest beer ads you’ve never seen—along with classic beer moments in television, cinema, literature, and more. Plus beloved beer spokesmodels like Miss Rheingold and Spuds MacKenzie.
And that’s not all. Did we mention the section on classic cheap beers? The recipe for beer-flavored ice cream? The rules for hilarious drinking games? The guidelines for brewing your own stash? It’s time to belly up to the bar and start reading—a wide world of beer awaits you!
|Introduction: One Hundred Bottles of Beer on My Wall||7|
|Can #1||The History of Beer||9|
|Great Moments in Beer History: Antiquity||10|
|Great Moments in Beer History: Enlightenment||15|
|Not-So-Great Moments in Beer History: Prohibition||21|
|Great Moments in Beer History: Modernity||24|
|The Evolution of the Beer Can||28|
|Popular Expressions That Came from Beer||32|
|Prestigious Beer Awards and Ceremonies||34|
|World Beer Records||37|
|The Year in Beer||40|
|Can #2||The Atlas of Beer||43|
|Ireland and the United Kingdom||44|
|Belgium and the Netherlands||46|
|Germany and Austria||48|
|The Czech Republic and Poland||50|
|The United States of America: New England||56|
|The United States of America: Mid-Atlantic||58|
|The United States of America: The South||60|
|The United States of America: The Midwest||62|
|The United States of America: The Southwest||64|
|The United States of America: The West||66|
|China and Japan||74|
|Australia and New Zealand||76|
|Can #3||Beer Connoisseurship||79|
|A Field Guide to Beer||80|
|The Big Beers||84|
|They Live! Zombie Beers||94|
|Beer: An Owner's Manual||97|
|How to Act Like a Beer Snob||100|
|Cheaper by the Six-Pack||102|
|Beer and Food||106|
|Brew It Yourself||112|
|Can #4||Beer Crafts and Gear||117|
|Aw, You Mugs||118|
|The Perfect Glass for Every Beer||122|
|Beer Kegs and Beer Kegerators||126|
|Games Beer Drinkers Play||138|
|Can #5||Beer and the Applied Sciences||143|
|Health and Beer||144|
|Beer Isn't the Answer; It's the Cure||149|
|The Physics and Chemistry of Beer||151|
|Alternate Scientific Applications for Beer||158|
|Can #6||Beer and the Arts||163|
|The Metropolitan Gallery of Beer Art||165|
|The Art of the Beer Label||170|
|Beer Commercials and Spokespersons||176|
|Memorable Beer Moments in Television and Cinema||182|
|Beer and Literature||187|
|Toasts and Roasts||198|
Posted April 12, 2005
I really enjoyed reading this book. It covers really everything you wanted to know about beer. Topics include: beer history, manufacturing, information on breweries across the world, types of glassware, and even how to build a table made with beer bottle caps. There are lots of pictures that add to the book's enjoyment. If you like beer you won't be disappointed. Would make a good gift.Was this review helpful? Yes NoThank you for your feedback. Report this reviewThank you, this review has been flagged.