Using documents obtained through the Freedom of Information Act, recently opened archival collections, and interviews with the actual participants, Immerman provides us with a definitive, powerfully written, and tension-packed account of the United States' clandestine operations in Guatemala and their consequences in Latin America.
1. Truman, Eisenhower, and the Cold War in Latin America
2. Underdevelopment, Repression, and Revolution
3. The Revolutionary Governments: Communism or Nationalism?
4. The View from the North
S. From Truman to Eisenhower: The Road to Intervention
6. Project PBSUCCESS: The Preparation
7. Project PBSUCCESS: The Coup
8. Project PBSUCCESS: The Legacy