The Complete Guide to Joining the Peace Corps: What You Need to Know Explained Simplyby Sharlee DiMenichi
Many people want to join the Peace Corps, and more than 160,000 people have since it was established by President Kennedy in 1961. But many more wonder what the Peace Corps involves and what they need to know
- LendMe LendMe™ Learn More
The Peace Corps is a great symbol of assistance around the world — an opportunity for men and women of all ages to help those less fortunate.
Many people want to join the Peace Corps, and more than 160,000 people have since it was established by President Kennedy in 1961. But many more wonder what the Peace Corps involves and what they need to know before they can volunteer for this life-changing service. This informative book will guide you through the process of not only deciding whether you want to join the Peace Corps, but of showing you everything you will experience and need along the way. You will learn:
• The basic lingo and information needed for the application process.
• The specific qualifications to join and what you can do to boost your chances of submitting a winning application.
• Hints for older volunteers as well as those who are married or worried about entering another country as a minority
or different sexual orientation.
• The countries served and the languages spoken, along with vital medical and safety information that you will need
to remain safe during your travels.
• How to prepare for your service and training, what to bring, and what
• How to stay in touch with home through the proper channels and how much travel, social interaction, and free time
you will be permitted.
Finally, the process of returning to normal life will be hard, but this book will walk you through the procedure for returning home with a full section on how to adjust to your life. Complete with case studies and advice from past volunteers, this book is a valuable resource for potential Peace Corp volunteers.
“Had this book been around in 1988 when I first joined the Peace Corps, it would have alleviated a lot of the guess-work. It really gives the reader a true insight into what to expect when deciding whether ‘the toughest job you’ll ever love’ is for them. Pack your bags for great adventure!”
- Jennifer Zweigbaum, Returned Peace Corps Volunteer, Mauritania, 1989-1990
- BN ID:
- Atlantic Publishing Group, Inc.
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- Sales rank:
- File size:
- 4 MB
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews