The Cosmic Perspective / Edition 6by Jeffrey O. Bennett, Megan O. Donahue, Nicholas Schneider, Mark Voit
Pub. Date: 01/02/2011
The Essential Cosmic Perspective, Sixth Edition retains all of the features that have made this text so popular and effective. New features and updates based on current research will engage students as they learn about astronomy. The textbook package also includes updated supplements to support the book’s pedagogy, making it the most effective/b>/b>… See more details below
The Essential Cosmic Perspective, Sixth Edition retains all of the features that have made this text so popular and effective. New features and updates based on current research will engage students as they learn about astronomy. The textbook package also includes updated supplements to support the book’s pedagogy, making it the most effective text in the one-semester astronomy market.
The Sixth Edition includes new visual foldout diagrams on the scale of space and time, key concepts in understanding the scope of the universe and individual objects within it. The book also includes Group Work Exercises to foster active participation in collaborative, in-class learning.
This package contains:
- The Essential Cosmic Perspective, Sixth Edition
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 9.50(w) x 10.80(h) x 1.00(d)
Table of Contents
I. DEVELOPING PERSPECTIVE.
1. Our Place in the Universe.
2. Discovering the Universe for Yourself.
3. The Science of Astronomy.
S1. Celestial Timekeeping and Navigation.
II. KEY CONCEPTS FOR ASTRONOMY.
4. A Universe of Matter and Energy.
5. Universal Motion.
6. Light: The Cosmic Messenger.
7. Telescopes: Portals of Discovery.
III. LEARNING FROM OTHER WORLDS.
8. Our Solar System: An Introduction and Overview.
9. Formation of the Solar System.
10. Planetary Geology: Earth and the Other Terrestrial Worlds.
11. Planetary Atmospheres: Earth and the Other Terrestrial Worlds.
12. Jovian Planet Systems.
13. Remnants of Rock and Ice: Asteroids, Comets, and Pluto.
14. Planet Earth and Its Lessons on Life in the Universe.
IV. A DEEPER LOOK AT NATURE.
S2. Space and Time.
S3. Spacetime and Gravity.
S4. Building Blocks of the Universe.
15. Our Star.
17. Star Stuff.
18. The Bizarre Stellar Graveyard.
VI. GALAXIES AND BEYOND.
19. Our Galaxy.
20. Galaxies: From Here to the Horizon.
21. Galaxy Evolution.
22. Dark Matter and the Fate of the Universe.
23. The Beginning of Time.
24. Life in the Universe.
Appendix A: A Few Mathematical Skills.
Appendix B: The Periodic Table of the Elements.
Appendix C: Planetary Data.
Appendix D: Stellar Data.
Appendix F: Key Equations.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >