The Cosmic Perspective, Media Update / Edition 2by Jeffrey Bennett, Mark Voit, Nicholas Schneider, Megan Donahue
Pub. Date: 08/01/2002
Publisher: Benjamin-Cummings Publishing Company
Built from the ground up on our new understanding of the universe, this reader-friendly book focuses on central ideas and unifying themes to provide a cosmic context. Scientific concepts are linked to everyday experience to help readers develop an appreciation for the scientific method and to see how physics and astronomy are foundations for understanding their world, and recent discoveries spark readers' curiosity in the universe as a whole. The book opens with an overview of the evolving universe to give readers a big picture that is returned to throughout the book. Departing from the traditional planet-by-planet facts and figures, the book emphasizes the similarities between planets by exploring connecting processes, as well as the evolving vision of galaxies and dark matter. For college instructors and students, or anyone interested in astronomy and physics.
- Benjamin-Cummings Publishing Company
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.44(w) x 10.80(h) x 0.95(d)
Table of Contents
I. DEVELOPING PERSPECTIVE.
2. Discovering the Universe for Yourself.
S1. Celestial Timekeeping and Navigation.
II. KEY CONCEPTS FOR ASTRONOMY.
4. A Universe of Matter and Energy.
5. Universal Motion: From Copernicus to Newton.
6. Light: The Cosmic Messenger.
7. Telescopes and Spacecraft.
III. LEARNING FROM OTHER WORLDS.
9. Planetary Geology: Earth and the other Terrestrial Worlds.
10. Planetary Atmospheres: Earth and the other Terrestrial Worlds.
11. Jovian Planet Systems.
12. Remnants of Rock and Ice: Asteroids, Comets, and Pluto.
13. Planet Earth and Its Lessons on Life in the Universe.
IV. A DEEPER LOOK AT NATURE.
S3. Spacetime and Gravity.
S4. Building Blocks of the Universe.
V. STELLAR ALCHEMY.
16. Star Stuff.
17. The Bizarre Stellar Graveyard.
VI. GALAXIES AND BEYOND.
19. Galaxies: From Here to the Horizon.
20. Galaxy Evolution.
21. Dark Matter and theFate of the Universe.
22. The Beginning of Time.
S5. Interstellar Travel.
Appendix A: A Few Mathematical Skills.
Appendix B: The Periodic Table of the Elements.
Appendix C: Planetary Data.
Appendix D: Stellar Data.
Appendix E: Constants.
Appendix F: Key Equations.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >