In clear, easy-to-understand programs, this book focuses on how to prevent, manage and potentially reverse diabetes.
The incidence rate of diabetes continues to grow at alarming levels. To combat this worrisome trend, the authors provide an easy-to-follow plan in 10 comprehensive steps. All the information is evidence-based and meets the very latest recommendations from North American experts on diabetes. The program includes 150 diabetes-suitable recipes that contribute to an enriched, healthy diet for better glucose control, improved lipid levels, lower blood pressure and weight loss an overall healthier life.
The 10 steps are:
- Step 1 - 3 Squares a Day (eat 3 meals each day, spread 4 to 6 hours apart)
- Step 2 - Carbohydrates are Key (eat a carb at each meal)
- Step 3 - Steady as She Goes (select low and medium glycemic foods most often)
- Step 4 - The Promise of Protein (eat low fat protein at every meal)
- Step 5 - Fat: Friend or Foe? (focus on healthy fats)
- Step 6 - Keep Salt in the Sea (limit sodium to 1500 mg based on 1600 calorie diet with maximum 2300 mg per day)
- Step 7 - Think Before You Drink (choosing low calorie, low carb beverages)
- Step 8 - Shake a Leg (aim for 30 minutes of exercise each day with a blend of cardio and strength training)
- Step 9 - More Sleep and Less Stress
- Step 10 - Win at Losing (lose 5 to 10% of your body weight, if you're overweight)
Following the 10-step plan enables the diabetic to make lifestyle changes that have a positive impact on controlling this disease. And the whole family will enjoy the healthy and delicious recipes. This book provides all the information and support for people to make meaningful changes in their lives without sacrificing taste and convenience.