- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
From the Publisher"Rowlands's book is monumental in scope, superbly researched and written, and highly original, overturning many accepted interpretations. It is an impressive tour de force."
- Journal of Interdisciplinary History
"Valuable.... Based on solid archival research..."
- The Journal of Military History
"In this generally excellent and important study, Guy Rowlands displays a mastery of military administration, monachical practice, and elite society that raises the bar for discussing the state and the army of Louis XIV."
- Journal of Modern History
"...represents an important contribution to our understanding of seventeenth-centruy France... Rowlands' study of the nuts and bolts of army administration sheds considerable light not only on the history of war, but also on the history of the nobility, of finance, and of the state."
- Sixteenth Century Journal, Paul Cohen, Université de Paris-VIII (Vincennes-Saint Denis)
"Guy Rowlands has given us an important book, indespensable reading for everyone in the field."
- Canadian Journal of History, John J. Hurt, University of Delaware
"...ambitious and provacative..."
- Seventeenth-Century News