Read an Excerpt
Chile Con Queso
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion
2 garlic cloves
5 fresh green chile peppers
2 fresh jalapeno peppers
2 medium tomatoes
8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese
8 ounces Colby cheese
1 cup sour cream
1. Remove skin from onions and garlic. Chop into ¼-inch pieces.
2. Remove stems and seeds from peppers and chop into ¼-inch pieces
3. Chop tomatoes into ¼-inch pieces
4. Grate cheeses
5. Heat oil at medium temperature in a large skillet. Add onions and garlic. Saute until tender but not brown. Add chili peppers, jalapeno peppers and tomatoes. Cook for three minutes, stirring constantly.
6. Turn heat to medium low. Add cheeses to pan and cook, stirring constantly until cheese melts. Stir in sour cream.
This is the perfect dip for tortilla chips. It also makes an excellent sauce to pour over enchiladas.