Uh-oh, it looks like your Internet Explorer is out of date.

For a better shopping experience, please upgrade now.

The Finest Hours: The True Story of the U.S. Coast Guard's Most Daring Sea Rescue

The Finest Hours: The True Story of the U.S. Coast Guard's Most Daring Sea Rescue

3.5 11
by Michael J. Tougias

See All Formats & Editions

The true story of an incredible disaster and heroic rescue at sea told by two masterful storytellers.

In the winter of 1952, New England was battered by the most brutal nor'easter in years. As the weather wreaked havoc on land, the freezing Atlantic became a wind-whipped zone of peril.

In the early hours of Monday, February 18, while the storm raged,


The true story of an incredible disaster and heroic rescue at sea told by two masterful storytellers.

In the winter of 1952, New England was battered by the most brutal nor'easter in years. As the weather wreaked havoc on land, the freezing Atlantic became a wind-whipped zone of peril.

In the early hours of Monday, February 18, while the storm raged, two oil tankers, the Pendleton and the Fort Mercer, found themselves in the same horrifying predicament. Built with "dirty steel," and not prepared to withstand such ferocious seas, both tankers split in two, leaving the dozens of men on board utterly at the Atlantic's mercy.

The Finest Hours is the gripping, true story of the valiant attempt to rescue the souls huddling inside the broken halves of the two ships. Coast Guard cutters raced to the aid of those on the Fort Mercer, and when it became apparent that the halves of the Pendleton were in danger of capsizing, the Guard sent out two thirty-six-foot lifeboats as well. These wooden boats, manned by only four seamen, were dwarfed by the enormous seventy-foot seas. As the tiny rescue vessels set out from the coast of Cape Cod, the men aboard were all fully aware that they were embarking on what could easily become a suicide mission.

The spellbinding tale is overflowing with breathtaking scenes that sear themselves into the mind's eye, as boats capsize, bows and sterns crash into one another, and men hurl themselves into the raging sea in their terrifying battle for survival.

Not all of the eighty-four men caught at sea in the midst of that brutal storm survived, but considering the odds, it's a miracle—and a testament to their bravery—that any came home to tell their tales at all.

Michael J. Tougias and Casey Sherman have seamlessly woven together their extensive research and firsthand interviews to create an unforgettable tale of heroism, triumph, and tragedy, one that truly tells of the Coast Guard's finest hours.

Editorial Reviews

Kirkus Reviews
From Tougias (Fatal Forecast: An Incredible True Tale of Disaster and Survival at Sea, 2007, etc.) and Sherman (Black Dragon, 2008, etc.), a brief but gripping tale of Coast Guard heroism. On Jan. 18, 1952, a vicious storm slammed 70-foot waves into two different oil tankers, the Pendleton and the Fort Mercer, off the coast of Cape Cod, Mass. Both went down. Only the Fort Mercer was able to send a distress call, and during its rescue, the wreck of the Pendleton was discovered. The authors bounce between the two rescue efforts, providing moment-by-moment accounts peppered with detailed interviews with survivors. The Fort Mercer's rescuers at one point watched helplessly as some survivors were swept into the sea to their deaths, and half of the wreck capsized and sank during the rescue operation. The Pendleton was rescued by a 36-foot Coast Guard lifeboat named only for its classification number, CG36500. A series of large waves swept its compass and other equipment overboard, and its engine was even knocked out of commission, though the crew managed to restart it. The 12-person-capacity CG36500 amazingly managed to save 32 members of the Pendleton's crew. Tougias and Sherman ably narrate the desperate struggles of the crewmembers on both the wrecks and the rescue boats, and the visceral descriptions of the unrelenting storm will make readers appreciate the bravery of the men who put their lives on the line. The coverage of the post-rescue inquiry slows the suspense at the end, but the authors provide an adequately action-packed account of rescue at sea. Agent: Ed Knappman/New England Publishing Associates
From the Publisher
“This book captures the wit, grit and sacrifice of Coasties and their boats.” —Minneapolis Star Tribune

“A blockbuster account of tragedy at sea.”
The Providence Journal

Providence Journal
"The Finest Hours is a touching account, a sensitive rendering of what might be called four indescribably chaotic conditions...Tougias and Sherman never sensationalize, never go beyond the facts, and yet capture all the pain, physical and emotional, of the survivors and their families."
Minneapolis Star Tribune
"This book captures the wit, grit and sacrifice of Coasties and their boats."
"Tougias and Sherman reach their peak of tension in the sink-or-swim moments when mariners abandoned ship and chanced their lives on their rescuers' skill and bravery...excellent."
Cape Cod Chronicle
"Nearly 57 years later, it's a breathtaking story that still defies the imagination."
Concord Monitor
"It's good to know that real heroes exist...incredible."
William Martin
"Look no further for the real-life adventure of the year. The Finest Hours is a rousing page-turner, a fascinating history, and an inspiring ode to the courage and professionalism of men who face bitter winds and black mountainous seas...all to do a dangerous job. Put it on the shelf next to The Perfect Storm. That's where it belongs!"
James Loy
"Tougias and Sherman have told a mesmerizing story about Coast Guardsmen under the stress of extreme conditions and the self-imposed pressure to perform. The events they describe so vividly occurred in 1952. As extraordinary as the collective performance by the boat crews, cutter crews and aircraft crews were that night, the real miracle is that such performances are timeless."
James Bradley
"In February of 1952, eighty-four men were in danger of drowning off the coast of Cape Cod when a ferocious Nor'easter split their ships in two. The Finest Hours recounts the incredible heroism of the Coast Guard, who risked their lives to save others. A gripping read."
Library Journal
The Coast Guard plays a lead role in both the historic and modern stories featured in Mitchell Zukoff’s Frozen in Time. Fans who would like to read more about Coast Guard missions and rescues may enjoy this account of the Guard’s gallant response to a 1952 disaster at sea. A terrible storm ravaged New England that year, creating sea conditions of 70-foot waves, fierce winds, and perilous cold. Caught in the storm were two aging oil tankers that were unable to withstand the crushing power of the nor’easter. They each broke in half, leaving their crews to the mercy of the raging Atlantic. The Coast Guard sent ships to aid the men, including three small crews in lifeboats. As the Guard rushed to save the men on the tankers they faced four floating wrecks—the stern and bow sections of each of the ships. Tougias and Sherman describe the unfolding hours, providing readers with an atmospheric, action-packed story, vivid descriptions of the conditions and events of the rescue, and richly crafted characters.

(c) Copyright 2013. Library Journals LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Media Source, Inc. No redistribution permitted.

Product Details

Publication date:
Sold by:
Sales rank:
File size:
1 MB

Read an Excerpt

Chapter One

Chatham Lifeboat Station

The sea is master here -- a tyrant, even -- and no people better than ours, who have gone down to the sea in ships so often in so many generations, understand the subtle saying..."We conquer nature only as we obey her."

-- E. G. Perry, 1898

Chatham, Massachusetts

February 18, 1952

Boatswain's Mate First Class Bernie Webber held a hot mug of coffee in his large hands as he stared out the foggy window of the mess hall. The cup of mud wasn't half bad. It came from a three-gallon pot and was brewed by mixing the coffee with a couple of eggshells to help the grounds settle at the bottom. The minister's son from Milton, Massachusetts, watched with growing curiosity and concern as the storm continued to strengthen outside. The midwinter nor'easter had stalled over New England for the last two days, and Webber wondered if the worst was yet to come. He watched as windswept snow danced over the shifting sands and large drifts piled up alongside the lighthouse tower in the front yard of the Chatham Lifeboat Station. At one time, two lighthouses had stood here; together they were known as the Twin Lights of Chatham. All that remained of the second lighthouse was an old foundation, and on this morning it was completely covered by snow.

Taking a sip of his coffee, Webber thought of his young wife, Miriam, home in bed with a bad case of the flu at their cottage on Sea View Street. What if there was an emergency? What if she needed help? Would the doctor be able to reach her in this kind of weather? These questions were fraying his nerves and Webber fought to put them out of his mind. Instead he tried to picture the local fishermen all huddled around the old woodstove at the Chatham Fish Pier. They would be calling for his help soon as their vessels bobbed up and down on the waves in Old Harbor, straining their lines. If the storm is this bad now, what will it be like a few hours from now when it really gets going? he thought.

Webber, however, wouldn't complain about the tough day he was facing. The boatswain's mate first class was only twenty-four years old, but he had been working at sea for nearly a decade, having first served with the U.S. Maritime Service during World War II. Webber's three older brothers had also served in the war. Paul, the eldest, had been with the Army's 26th Division in Germany. The so-called Yankee Division had fought in the Battle of the Bulge, joining General George S. Patton's Third Army in capturing the fortified city of Metz. Bob, his next brother, helped protect the homeland with the U.S. Coast Guard. The third, Bill, had helped build the Alaska Highway as a member of the Army Transportation Corps.

Bernie had followed his brother Bob into the Coast Guard, but it was not the kind of life his parents had planned for him. From early childhood, Webber's father, the associate pastor at the Tremont Temple Church in Boston, had steered him toward a life in the ministry. The church deacon even paid for Bernie to attend the Mount Hermon School for Boys, located 105 miles away in Gill, Massachusetts, a small town hugging the Connecticut River. Established in 1879, the school boasted prestigious alumni such as Reader's Digest founder DeWitt Wallace and James W. McLamore, who founded Burger King. Needless to say, Bernie was something of an economic outcast amongst the prep school crowd. He arrived at Mount Hermon carrying serious doubts and wearing his brother's hand-me-down clothes. He was not a strong student and he privately questioned why he was there. Webber knew in his heart that he did not want to follow in his father's footsteps. He was thinking about running away from school when fate intervened; a childhood friend who had crashed his father's car came looking for a place to hide out. Webber obliged his buddy's request, ensconcing him in one of the dorm rooms and swiping food from the school cafeteria for him to eat. The two were caught after just a few days but they didn't stick around long enough to face the consequences. Instead they fled to the hills and cornfields surrounding the school and eventually made it back to Milton.

The Reverend Bernard A. Webber struggled to understand the actions of his wayward son as young Bernie quit school and continued to drift. A year later, at the age of sixteen, Bernie got an idea that would change the course of his rudderless life. He heard that the U.S. Maritime Service was looking for young men like him for training in New York. If Bernie could complete the arduous training camp, he could then serve the war effort on a merchant ship. After his father reluctantly signed his enlistment papers, he quickly joined up and was schooled on the fundamentals of seamanship at the U.S. Maritime Service Training Station in Sheepshead Bay, New York, where he also received training from former world heavyweight champion Jack Dempsey, then serving as a commander in the Coast Guard as well as the athletic instructor at the training station. When he was finished, Webber shipped out on the SS Sinclair Rubiline, a T2 oil tanker that ran gasoline from ports in Aruba and Curacao to American warships of the U.S. Third Fleet in the South Pacific. During this time, the young man realized that he would not spend his life in the ministry or any other job on dry land. Bernie Webber had been born to the sea. He enlisted in the U.S. Coast Guard on February 26, 1946, and was sent to its training station at Curtis Bay, Maryland. In letters to recruits at the time, the commanding officer of the Coast Guard training station summed up the life and duty of a Coast Guardsman this way:

Hard jobs are routine in this service. In a way, the Coast Guard is always at war; in wartime, against armed enemies of the nation; and in peacetime, against all enemies of mankind at sea; Fire, Collision, Lawlessness, Gales, Ice, Derelicts, and many more. The Coast Guard, therefore, is no place for a quitter, or for a crybaby, or for a lying four-flusher, or anyone who cannot keep his eye on the ball. Your period of recruit training is a time of a test, hour by hour and day by day, to determine whether or not you are made of the right material. It is up to you, as an individual to prove your worth.

Webber was now on duty in Chatham, a tiny outpost at the elbow of Cape Cod. His worth and his mettle had already been tested many times in the unforgiving waters off the Cape. It was one of the busiest and most dangerous places for anyone who made their living on the sea. The director of the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey made a point of this way back in 1869. "There is no other place in the world, perhaps," he wrote about the waters off Cape Cod, "where tides of such very small rise and fall are accompanied by such strong currents running far out to sea." In fact, seamen referred to the area as "the graveyard of the Atlantic," and for good reason. The sunken skeletons of more than three thousand shipwrecks were scattered across the ocean floor from Chatham to Provincetown. The first known wreck was the Sparrowhawk, which ran aground on December 17, 1626, in Orleans. The crew, along with colonists bound for Virginia, managed to get to shore safely, and the vessel was repaired. But before it could hoist its sails again, another devastating ocean storm came along and sunk the Sparrowhawk for good. The episode was detailed by Governor William Bradford in his diary of the Plymouth Colony. Two hundred years later, erosion brought the wreckage into view in a mud bank along the Orleans coastline. The famous HMS Somerset also met her fate in the treacherous waters off Cape Cod. The ship, immortalized in Longfellow's poem "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere," was wrecked in the shoals off Truro during a violent gale on November 3, 1778. Twenty-one British officers and seamen drowned when their lifeboat overturned coming ashore. The ship's captain, George Ourry, surrendered to Truro selectman Isaiah Atkins on behalf of his 480-man crew. The survivors were taken as prisoners of war and were then marched to Boston, escorted by town militias along the way. (Paul Revere, who had once rowed stealthily past the Somerset to alert Lexington and Concord of the British invasion, was later given the ship's sixty-four guns to help fortify Castle Island in Boston Harbor.) As author Henry C. Kittredge observed in Cape Cod: Its People & Their History (1930), "If all the wrecks which have been piled upon the back-side of Cape Cod were placed bow to stern, they would make a continuous wall from Chatham to Provincetown."

Bernie Webber's baptism under fire had come during an evening in 1949 when he responded to his first distress call at the Chatham Lifeboat Station. The Gleaves-class destroyer USS Livermore had run aground on Bearse's Shoal, off Monomoy Island. Luck had sailed with the Livermore up to that point. Her crew had managed to dodge Nazi U-boat wolfpacks while escorting convoys to Iceland bound for England in the months before the United States entered World War II. On November 9, 1942, the destroyer took part in the Allied invasion of North Africa, providing antisubmarine, antiaircraft, and fire support off Mehdia, French Morocco. The Livermore had survived the war relatively unscathed, a fact that some of her crew members ascribed to the fact that she was the first American warship to be named after a Navy chaplain, Samuel Livermore.

First Class Boatswain Mate Leo Gracie took Webber and a crew on a 38-foot Coast Guard picket boat over the treacherous Chatham Bar to where the Livermore lay with a Naval Reserve crew stranded on board. The ship rested high up on the shoal and was leaning dangerously on its side. Webber and the men stayed with the destroyer for the rest of the night as salvage tugs were called in. The next morning, the Coast Guardsmen assisted in several failed attempts to free the warship before finally achieving success and sending the Livermore safely on its way. Webber smiled as the Livermore's crew cheered him and his crew. The sailors had given him quite a different reception hours earlier when they pelted him with apples, oranges, and even eight-ounce steel shackles, because in their eyes the rescue mission was taking too long. It was all part of a friendly rivalry between the Navy and the Coasties. The Naval Reserve crew was no doubt a little embarrassed that its rescue came at the hands of the Coast Guard, or the Hooligan's Navy as they called it.

Yes, the life of a Coast Guardsman was often a thankless one, but Webber would not trade it for any other job in the world. And now, just after dawn, he gazed out the window of the mess hall, listened to the wind howl, and wondered what the day would bring.

Copyright © 2009 by Michael J. Tougias and Casey Sherman

Meet the Author

Michael J. Tougias is the author of a number of books, including Rescue of the Bounty: Disaster and Survival in Superstorm Sandy; Overboard!; The Finest Hours (with Casey Sherman), soon to be a major motion picture from Disney; Fatal Forecast; and Ten Hours Until Dawn: The True Story of Heroism and Tragedy Aboard the Can Do. He is a sought-after lecturer who gives more than seventy presentations each year. He lives in Massachusetts.

Casey Sherman is the author of two novels, Black Irish and Black Dragon. He’s also the author of the acclaimed true crime thriller A Rose for Mary: The Hunt for the Real Boston Strangler. Sherman has been nominated for an Emmy Award, has appeared on dozens of national television programs and has been profiled by numerous magazines and newspapers. He lives in Massachusetts.

Customer Reviews

Average Review:

Post to your social network


Most Helpful Customer Reviews

See all customer reviews

The Finest Hours: The True Story of the U.S. Coast Guard's Most Daring Sea Rescue 3.5 out of 5 based on 0 ratings. 11 reviews.
Guest More than 1 year ago
this book was very well written and so much information about the history of life saving on the cape.when i was a kid i grew up vacationing on the cape and never new thoses ships were out there.and now that im an adult reading this book blew my mind i new some the history about the cg 36500.but reading this book really nade me feel that i was out there on the boat with that crewand iall i can say is WOW!!!!!!!this book is a great book to read
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
This book will only add to Michael Tougias' growing reputation as a writer of real sea disasters. Add this to the author's other two books, Ten Hours til Dawn and Fatal Forecast and you have three great additions to your library of maritime disaster books. Unfortunately, Michael can not research and write his books as fast as we can read them, so I now await the completion of his next sea story.
Lonka More than 1 year ago
A compelling reconstruction of events that occured 58 years ago. The authors relate the story of an exciting scenario that ties together the background of the rescued and rescuers. I recommend this book to anyone who is involved with sailing, power-boating, and is interested in available safety umbrella.
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
Amazing that two ships went down off Cape Cod on the same night. Not only two ships but two of the same types of ships and they split in half! The Coast Guard was so brave in their rescue attempts, a must read. Enjoy.
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
Send it to zimbabwae
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
Bought the book to read about the US Coast Guards greatest rescue and had to wade through page after page of nonsence to get to the story. Local history back to the 1650's and childhood information on nonessential individuals. Don't waste your money.
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
Get lost