Part I. Retrospectives and Theoretical Perspectives
1. Early humans: of whom do we speak?
Richard E. Leakey
2. Homo habilis - a premature discovery: remembered by one of its founding fathers, 42 years later
Phillip V. Tobia
3. Where does the genus Homo begin, and how would we know?
Part II. Craniodental Perspectives on Taxonomy and Systematics
4. The origin of Homo
William H. Kimbel
5. Comparisons of Early Pleisene skulls from East Africa and the Georgian Caucasus: evidence bearing on the origin and systematics of genus Homo
G. Philip Rightmire and David Lordkipanidze
6. Phenetic affinities of Plio-Pleisene Homo fossils from South Africa: molar cusp proportions
Frederick E. Grine, Heather F. Smith, Christopher P. Heesy and Emma J. Smith
Part III. Postcranial Perspectives on Locomotion and Adaptation
7. Evolution of the hominin shoulder: early Homo
Susan G. Larson
8. Brains, brawn, and the evolution of human endurance running capabilities
Daniel E. Lieberman, Dennis M. Bramble, David A. Raichlen and John J. Shea
9. Interlimb proportions in humans and fossil hominins: variability and scaling
William L. Jungers
Part IV. Perspectives on Development, Diet and Behavior
10. Growth and development of the Nariokotome youth, KNM-WT 15000
M. Christopher Dean and B. Holly Smith
11. Dental evidence for diets of early Homo
Peter S. Ungar and Robert S. Scott
12. Origins and adaptations of early Homo: what archaeology tells us
Hélène Roche, Robert J. Blumenschine and John J. Shea
Part V. Environmental and Ecological Perspectives
13. Plio-Pleisene East African pulsed climate variability and its influence on early human evolution.
Mark A. Maslin and Martin H. Trauth
14. Tracking ecological change in relation to the emergence of Homo near the Plio-Pleisene boundary.
Kaye E. Reed and Samantha M. Russak
15. Ecology of Plio-Pleisene mammals in the Omo-Turkana Basin and the emergence of Homo.
René Bobe and Meave G. Leakey
16. Biogeochemical evidence for the environments of early Homo in South Africa
Matt Sponheimer and Julia Lee-Thorp
Part VI. Summary Perspective on the Workshop
17. The first humans: a summary perspective on the origin and early evolution of the genus Homo.
Frederick E. Grine and John G. Fleagle