The Great Recordingsby Beverly Sills
Exactly as the title implies, Beverly Sills: The Great Recordings is a well-produced document of one of America's most famous sopranos, and most vibrant musical personalities. It is beautifully mastered and nicely packaged, and it captures Sills at the top of her game, as she was in the late '60s and '70s. Anchored by excerpts from her two best-loved roles, Violetta in Verdi's "La Traviata" and Massenet's "Manon," but unfortunately only including one excerpt from her famous Donizetti "Three Queens" series (arguably her best achievement), this two-disc collection covers an impressive range of selections: staple works by Mozart, Bellini, Rossini, and Meyerbeer, some lighter selections from Offenbach and Lehár, and Moore's "The Ballad of Baby Doe." The last was one of Sills' signatures, and will probably always be identified with her. The visceral energy that made her coloratura voice sound bigger than it was, the improbably sparkling high notes, and the go-for-broke musicality that characterized her best singing take center stage in nearly every selection, and provide a convincing argument for Sills as one of the last century's great singers.
- Release Date:
- Deutsche Grammophon
- I Puritani, opera: Son vergin vezzosa
- I Capuleti e i Montecchi, opera: Eccomi... Oh! quante volte
- Norma, opera: Mira, o Norma
- Attila, opera: Santo di patria... Allor che i forti corrono... Da
- Il barbière di Siviglia (The Barber of Seville), opera: Contro un cor che accende amore
- Roberto Devereux (Il Conte di Essex), opera: Che m'apporti?
- Roberto Devereux (Il Conte di Essex), opera: Quel sangue varsato al cielo s'innalza
- Vorrei spiegarvi, o Dio, aria for soprano & orchestra, K. 418
- Amor ("An dem Feuer sass das Kind Amor"), song for voice & piano (or orchestra), Op. 68/5 (TrV 235/5)
- Die Entführung aus dem Serail (The Abduction from the Seraglio), opera, K. 384: Martern aller Arten
- La Traviata, opera: È strano! È strano!
- La Traviata, opera: Ah, fors'è lui
- La Traviata, opera: Follie! Follie!
- La Traviata, opera: Sempre libera
- Manon, comic opera in 5 acts: Ces murs silencieux - Pardonnez-moi, Dieu de toute
- Manon, comic opera in 5 acts: Toi! Vous! - Oui! Je fus cruelle et coupable!
- Manon, comic opera in 5 acts: N'est-ce plus ma main?
- Robert le diable, grand opera in 5 acts: Robert, toi que j'aime
- Les contes d'Hoffmann, opera in 4 acts: Tu ne chanteras plus?
- Les contes d'Hoffmann, opera in 4 acts: Chère enfant que j'appelle
- Giuditta, opera in 5 acts: Meine Lippen, die küssen so heiß
- Wien, du Stadt meiner Träume ("Wien, Wien, nur du allein")
- The Ballad of Baby Doe, opera in 2 acts: Always through the changing
Performance CreditsBeverly Sills Primary Artist
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews