“Together, the comprehensive and quite thought-provoking individual essays provide richly insightful perspectives into the extent to which the internet is shaping and being shaped by human cultures and societies, and the various ways in which scholars might consider and approach such processes.” (Digital Journalism, 19 August 2014)
The Handbook of Internet Studiesby Mia Consalvo
- Presents a wide range of original essays by established scholars in everything from online
- LendMe LendMe™ Learn More
The Handbook of Internet Studies brings together scholars from a variety of fields to explore the profound shift that has occurred in how we communicate and experience our world as we have moved from the industrial era into the age of digital media.
- Presents a wide range of original essays by established scholars in everything from online ethics to ways in which indigenous peoples now use the Internet
- Looks at the role of the internet in modern societies, and the continuing development of internet studies as an academic field
- Explores Internet studies through history, society, culture, and the future of online media
- Provides introductory frameworks to ground and orientate the student, while also providing more experienced scholars with a convenient and comprehensive overview of the latest trends and critical directions in the many areas of Internet research
What People are saying about this
"This indispensable volume reflects the complexity of Internet studies--indeed, the Internet itself--by bringing together a diverse set of voices, geographies, disciplines, and arguments. It is not only an important resource for practitioners, but will also spark the curiosity of those on the edges of the field, including humanists, social scientists, and engineers alike." Michael Zimmer, University of Wisconsin
"The Handbook of Internet Studies is a comprehensive and useful volume that will appeal to students, teachers and researchers. It provides a welcome survey of the still-emerging field of Internet Studies and can readily serve as a jumping-off point for further exploration. I highly recommend it to those who have been following the field since its emergence in the 1990s as well as to those new to the field." Steve Jones, University of Illinois at Chicago
“Of all media, the internet holds the most wide-ranging, deep and complex depiction of contemporary society. If you want to understand today’s society, you need to study the internet. This handbook is landmark, documenting that internet studies have now come of age.” Niels Ole Finnemann, Aarhus University, Denmark
Meet the Author
Mia Consalvo is Canada Research Chair in Game Studies&Design at Concordia University, Canada.
Charles Ess is Associate Professor in Media Studies in the Department of Media and Communication at University of Oslo, Norway.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
Oh my gawd!!!