Fully revised and updated, this second edition includes:
· A much expanded selection of original documents, many never before anthologised in English
· Added treatment of the role of non-Germans in the Holocaust and the geographical variations in Jewish response
· Additional consideration of the much-debated nexus between the Holocaust and modernity
· A new section on how 'the Holocaust' developed as a distinct historical topic
· Useful and informative Chronology, Who’s Who and Glossary
David Engel’s book is a taut, compact narration that appeals to the intellect as much, if not more, than to the emotions. It is sure to be welcomed by students in departments of History, Politics and European Studies as well as by anyone trying to get to grips with this complex and far-reaching subject for the first time.