Read an Excerpt
The Jesus I Thought I Knew
Questions To Consider
• How do I perceive Jesus?
• Who is Philip Yancey, and how can films help me to see Jesus in a new way?
• What is my answer to the question, "Who is this man, Jesus?"
The Twentieth-Century View of Jesus
What one word would a church member choose to describe Jesus?
How would one of your neighbors or one of your coworkers describe Jesus?
In your mind's eye, what did Jesus look like? Tall? Short? Handsome? Curly hair or straight? Did he have a dark or light complexion? Where did you get this picture of him (films, paintings, books, Sunday school)? Can you describe specific images from the past?
As you watch the following scenes from these three films, think of one adjective or impression that describes your reactions or feelings. If you need some help, use the questions below as a guide.
Kings of Kings
Is this like the image of Jesus you had growing up?
The Gospel According to St. Matthew
Do you find anything disturbing about Pasolini's Jesus?
Son of Man
Can you imagine Jesus being overweight?
Can you imagine Jesus ever saying, "Shut up!"?
In the first column the various stages of your life are listed for you. For each stage think of the major people and events that influenced you. Record your responses in column 2. In column 3 jot down how you related to or experienced Christ at that time.
Stage of Life - Major Influence - My Experience / Thoughts/Relationship
Facts About Jesus
• The birth of Jesus ________________ history.
•______-__________ of all people on earth claim to be Christians.
• The name of Jesus has become __________________________, even used as a _______________ _________.
The perceptions we have of Jesus have been muddied by:
And yet, the question remains, "___________ _________ __________ ______________?"
1. Read Mark 6: 1 - 6. What does this passage tell us about Jesus?
2. Do you think people today have any clearer picture of who Jesus is than did the people in his day? How do you think Jesus feels about the confusing portrait presented in today's church or by some individuals?
3. What impact do you think this type of study may have on your perceptions of who Jesus is? What do you hope might happen in this study as you take a new look at Jesus?
4. What scares you most about getting to know the real Jesus?
In this session we:
• Looked at the various ways people perceive Jesus.
• Were introduced to Philip Yancey and the film approach used throughout this course.
• Learned that the bottom line is for each of us to answer the question, "Who is this man, Jesus?"