Jossey-Bass Handbook of NonProfit Leadership and Management / Edition 2by Robert D. Herman & Associates, Robert E. Fogal, John M. Bryson, Robert D. Herman
Pub. Date: 10/28/2004
The Jossey-Bass Handbook of Nonprofit Leadership and Management offers a comprehensive and in-depth description of the most effective leadership and management practices that can be applied throughout a nonprofit organization. This second edition of the best-selling handbook brings together the leading experts in the nonprofit field to discuss the current knowledge… See more details below
The Jossey-Bass Handbook of Nonprofit Leadership and Management offers a comprehensive and in-depth description of the most effective leadership and management practices that can be applied throughout a nonprofit organization. This second edition of the best-selling handbook brings together the leading experts in the nonprofit field to discuss the current knowledge and trends of effective practice in all phases of nonprofit organization leadership and management. This thoroughly revised edition is based on the most up-to-date research, theory, and experience. It offers practical advice on every aspect of managing nonprofit organizations, including board development, strategic planning, lobbying, marketing, government contracting, volunteer programs, fund-raising, financial accounting, compensation and benefits programs, and risk management.
In addition, this new edition examines emerging topics of interest such as strategic alliances and finding and keeping the right employees.
Rikki Abzug, Helmut K. Anheier, Nancy R. Axelrod, Robert N. Anthony, Jeffrey L. Brudney, John Bryson, Nancy E. Day, Robert E. Fogal, Brenda Gainer, Peter Dobkin Hall, Dick Heimovics, Melanie L. Herman, Steve McCurley, Thomas Jeavons, Nancy Macduff, Cynthia W. Massarsky, Mel Moyer, Vic Murray, Thomas Silk, Lester Salamon, Steven Rathgeb Smith, Bob Smucker, Nuno Themudo, John Clayton Thomas, Jon Van Til, Mary R. Watson, Carol Willen, John A. Yankey, and David W. Young
Praise for the First Edition of Jossey-Bass Handbook for Nonprofit Leadership and Management
"The bible of nonprofit management."
"This collection brings together the leading experts in the nonprofit and management fields to describe effective practices in all the important functions, processes, and strategies of nonprofit organizations."
"[The book] enumerates various strategies for generating revenue and outlines a thoughtful process for managers to follow in implementing a revenue-generating activity."
Foundation News & Commentary
"The comprehensive nature of the volume and the quality of the essays make this work an essential addition to the libraries of all nonprofit organizations. The essays are presented in a clear, concise format and are meaningful to both the experienced manager and the neophyte."
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.28(w) x 9.49(h) x 1.88(d)
Table of Contents
Tables, Figures, and Exhibits.
PART ONE: CONTEXT AND INSTITUTIONS.
1. Historical Perspectives on Nonprofit Organizations in the United States (Peter Dobkin Hall).
2. Nonprofit Organizations and Social Institutions (Jon Van Til).
3. The Legal Framework of the Nonprofit Sector in the United States (Thomas Silk).
4. The Changing Context of American Nonprofit Management (Lester M. Salamon).
5. The Internationalization of the Nonprofit Sector (Helmut K. Anheier, Nuno Themudo).
PART TWO: KEY LEADERSHIP ISSUES.
6. Board Leadership and Development (Nancy R. Axelrod).
7. Executive Leadership (Robert D. Herman, Dick Heimovics).
8. The Strategy Change Cycle: An Effective Strategic Planning Approach for Nonprofit Organizations (John M. Bryson).
9. Ethical Nonprofit Management (Thomas H. Jeavons).
10. Nonprofit Lobbying (Bob Smucker).
11. Strategic Alliances (John A. Yankey, Carol K. Willen).
PART THREE: MANAGING OPERATIONS.
12. Marketing for Nonprofit Managers (Brenda Gainer, Mel S. Moyer).
13. Designing and Managing Volunteer Programs (Jeffrey L. Brudney).
14. Evaluating the Effectiveness of Nonprofit Organizations (Vic Murray).
15. Managing the Challenges of Government Contracts (Steven Rathgeb Smith).
16. Outcome Assessment and Program Evaluation (John Clayton Thomas).
PART FOUR: DEVELOPING AND MANAGING FINANCIAL RESOURCES.
17. Designing and Managing the Fundraising Program (Robert E. Fogal).
18. Enterprise Strategies for Generating Revenue (Cynthia W. Massarsky).
19. Financial Accounting and Financial Management (Robert N. Anthony, David W. Young).
20. Management Accounting (David W. Young).
21. Risk Management (Melanie L. Herman).
PART FIVE: MANAGING PEOPLE.
22. Keeping the Community Involved: Recruiting and Retaining Volunteers (Stephen McCurley).
23. Finding the Ones You Want, Keeping the Ones You Find: Recruitment and Retention in Nonprofit Organizations (Mary R. Watson, Rikki Abzug).
24. Total Rewards Programs in Nonprofit Organizations (Nancy E. Day).
25. Principles of Training for Volunteers and Employees (Nancy Macduff).
Conclusion: The Future of Nonprofit Management (Robert D. Herman).
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >