Clear, practical advice for doctors, dentists, and other health care professionals on how to avoid and overcome legal pitfalls. Leonard DuBoff covers all the legal essentials you need to run your medical business. He also shows you how you can avoid the dangers that can damage your practice with special advice on:
• employees and independent contractorsdealing fairly and legally with both. What are the legal protections afforded by employee contracts and handbooks? What are employee rights, including the potentially explosive concept of "wrongful termination"?
• tax considerationskeeping taxes low through income spreading and the proper deductions, including how to write off business, travel and entertainment expenses, employee compensation, the business use of your auto and home.
• insurancesecuring property insurance, professional liability insurance, and health insurance for you and your employees while keeping costs down. The good news and bad news about valued versus unvalued policies. When and how you can reform or challenge insurance contracts.
• advertisingwhat constitutes "false or misleading" advertising and how to avoid trouble with the federal and state agencies that regulate this area.
• estate planningarranging for the disposition of your practice including how to handle medical records. An analysis of wills and their possible substitutes, tax considerations, and providing for your survivors.