Read an Excerpt
The Little Book of Light
One Hundred Eleven Ways to Bring Light into Your Life
By Mikaela Katherine Jones
Red Wheel/Weiser, LLCCopyright © 2012 Mikaela Katherine Jones
All rights reserved.
111 Ways to Bring Light into Your Life
1. Listen to that calm, peaceful voice inside ... It's the voice of your heart, which always has the most illumination in any situation.
2. Release your attachment to your intended outcomes. While it is paramount to set intentions, it is best to then turn them over to God ... because God may have a different and better plan for you.
3. You are a gift to the world with your very BEING. Nobody has your unique energy, smile, or laugh. Without you, life's rich human rainbow wouldn't be complete.
4. Hum. Proud and out loud, or softly to yourself. The vibration of humming calms and soothes you, and helps you feel your innate peace and love. This is really fun to do in store lines or in the doctor's office. Hum softly and brighten the room with your love.
5. Close your eyes and visualize yourself as a glorious, radiant sun. Picture the center of your sun shining forth from your heart or your belly. Feel the sun's warmth melt away any tension or tightness in your body. Feel the love and the power that naturally emanate from you.
6. Be conscious of things that make you smile. Like children's laughter. It is from the place of feeling good and feeling gratitude that we are able to bring our dreams into reality ... So let the good times and the tears of gratitude roll.
7. Speak from your center. Observe your breath. If it's quick and shallow, you're probably not centered. Take a few deep breaths and set the intention to speak from your heart so you can say what you really mean.
8. Let the power and tenderness of your heart heal your should-haves, your could-haves, and your wish-I-would-haves.
9. Count your blessings. Our lives are bursting with them. There is always something for which to be grateful. Always. It is through a consistent attitude of gratitude that we create a magical and delight-filled life.
10. Watch the sunset. Watch flowers watch the sunset! I was out walking one evening and noticed a bougainvillea tree full of magenta flowers bending to the sun as it set. They shimmered in the breeze as if they were clapping at the performance. A delightful sight.
11. Be true to yourself. If you ignore your heart's desires and are only true to others, you exhaust yourself. Being true to yourself while being kind and compassionate with others energizes the soul.
12. Your perception reigns supreme. If your perception of something is making you feel bad, try on a new perception. We always have the freedom to choose how we look at something. For example, "I lost my job; I'm worthless," can become "I wonder what wonderful opportunity is going to open up for me now to do what I truly love, utilizing some of the skills I have gained in this last job?"
13. Stroke a dog's head. Play with your kitty. Or cuddle your hamster or your rabbit or your mouse. If you don't have one, just visualize and pretend. It will have the same uplifting effect on your energy.
14. Toss worry out the window. Instead of focusing on what you don't want to happen, focus on what you do want to happen. You always have the opportunity to create an avenue to delight, no matter where you are now. Hold the end goal as your vision ... FEEL IT, and let your heart guide you ... step by step.
15. Believe in angels. If you believe, you will feel their presence often. Ask them for guidance, comfort, and love. They are honored to be of service, but you must ask first. Ask, ask, ask ... and then ask some more.
16. Close your eyes and just breathe. First breathe deep into your belly, then chest, and then upper back. Visualize inhaling peace and love ... and exhaling any tension or worry. You can picture a golden or pink light on the inhale ... and as you exhale, picture smoke or dust being released. Do at least ten rounds of these deep, conscious breaths each day.
17. Become aware of your self-talk. If you find yourself saying, "I'm so sad ..." or "I'm so depressed," catch it, and say, "Well, that's a depressing thought. I know this too shall pass." This slight difference in the way you speak to yourself will shift your energy and make you feel lighter.
18. When the rollercoaster of life gets bumpy, take a break and give gratitude for how far you've come. Find something in your surroundings or in your accomplishments to appreciate. Breathe ...
19. Practice positive speaking. Try eliminating all gossip and complaints for just today ... Gossip and complaining only bring your energy down and make you feel worse. Try it for today ... and you might joyfully commit for life.
20. Hold your head high. You are a radiant, beautiful, and powerful being of light.
21. Choose to focus on the positive in others. Set your intention in the morning ... "Today I choose to see the good in everyone ... Through the shadows and clouds of their illusion, I will affirm their light." The more you practice this, the more delight life will bring you.
22. Get grounded. Commune with nature. Go barefoot. Listen to the birds. Watch the sun dance through the leaves of the trees. Smell the earth.
23. Create your life according to your own values. You will have a much more fulfilling life. Release the need for approval from others. You were not put here to live your father's life or your grandmother's or your sister's ... you were put here to make your contribution to the world in your own unique and delightful way.
24. Become conscious of the choices you make moment by moment. Life is not a series of things ... life is a series of experiences, which is a series of moments. How you experience and choose to react to something is solely up to you. Choose with awareness.
25. Sing to someone or something you love. It makes no difference if it's your friend, or your fish, or your ficus.
26. Stretch—your body and your mind. An open mind that seeks understanding rather than jumping to judgment is a conduit of light and love.
27. Honor yourself by having a personal vision. Visualize an acorn or a sunflower seed in the palm of your hand ... notice how small they are ... and now visualize the mighty oak tree that the acorn will become ... and the proud, beautiful sunflower the tiny seed will grow into ... That same potential for growth and beauty lives in you ... what will you one day become?
28. Music has the power to shift your energy quickly. So listen to music that makes you feel good. If you feel angry or anxious, dancing to "raucous" music can help move the negative energy out of your body. Or, if you need a good cry, play a moving piece of classical music. Make sure you follow up with music that makes you feel calm and uplifted.
29. Celebrate yourself! Don't limit your radiant self-expression. You encourage others to shine bright through your own example. And don't let those naysayers get you down. Share your joy only with those whom you know will celebrate with you. You can always share your joy with God by being grateful. In-Joy!
30. Imagine standing under a waterfall of brilliant light. Inhale the light into your body, and notice the dance of rainbows within the sparkling light. Let it flow through the top of your head, down through your shoulders and back, into each and every muscle and cell of your body. Thank it for relaxing, healing, and rejuvenating your entire body.
31. Love your body. Feed it nourishing foods ... get it moving ... give it rest. Speak to it with gratitude, not condemnation. Your body is your Temple ... your Temple of light and delight ... if you will only treat it as such.
32. Say yes to life! Own your gifts. Give it your all. "Give me an 'L'! Give me an 'I'! Give me a 'V'! Give me an 'E'! LIVE, LIVE!"
33. Visualize what you'd like to create in your life. Be specific. What you focus on grows. Imagine you are experiencing it now. Feel the delicious feelings of having it. Follow your joy and take action on the most exciting thing you can do at this moment.
34. Slow down. Allow yourself to be delighted by the simple things in life— The feel of a cool breeze on a hot summer day. The ant determinedly carrying its familys food on its back. The two small white butterflies dancing among the magenta bougainvillea outside the window as I write this. What a treat!
35. Remember: You are free to use your imagination in creative ways to create more moments of delight. For example, when I'm sitting in traffic, I picture the cars as fish and the SUVs and trucks as sea turtles. I say or think to myself, "We all move in harmony ... arriving at our destinations with ease and grace." The traffic always lightens!
36. Whenever you feel afraid, call on God and your angels to be with you ... Ask them to protect you and surround you with an impenetrable shield of light and love.
37. Become acquainted with a flower. Get right up close and take it in. Imagine what it is like to be the flower. If you have an open mind and heart, a rush of delight will wash over you as you do this. Flowers are powerhouses of light.
38. Practice seeing the world with the eyes of your inner child. Expand your capacity to experience awe and wonder. When we use the eyes of our inner child, the world becomes a magical playground of delight and synchronicity.
39. Shake it out. Whenever you feel nervous or anxious, shake out your arms and legs. Gently bounce on the soles of your feet. Move the energy out of your body. Take a few deep breaths, and feel yourself returned to your center.
40. Give somebody a hug ... and get hugged in return.
41. Act as if you are already the person you dream of becoming ... courageous, self-expressed, and compassionate. When you get anxious, ask yourself, "How would the 'I' whom I want to become act in this situation?" Then do it ... Youll be amazed how much you already are the you you desire to be.
42. Send the whole world light. Imagine holding the earth in the palm of your hands, surrounding it with brilliant, golden light. Visualize the light infusing the entire planet and every being upon it with peace, love, and well-being.
43. Take your dog for a walk. If you don't have a dog, take yourself for a walk. It will clear your head, quiet your ego, and make room for more light.
44. Follow your Divine Inspiration. Trust in your intuition's sometimes winding path. Seize the day! Be courageous; act on it.
45. Let go of the past. Cut the shackles and live today as if it were the first day of the rest of your life ... It is.
46. Make it a priority to ENJOY yourself today ... Make a list of at least three things you will do today that will leave you tickled pink. They dont need to be expensive or time-consuming. Smell a flower. Look at yourself in the mirror and make a silly face, or tell yourself, "I love you." Also, remember to tell others how much you love them.
47. See people's differences and eccentricities as treasures of humanity. We are all oddballs in one way or another. Judgment and harsh words don't serve anybody; they only throw a cloud over your own light.
48. Give up your need to be perfect. As long as you're in your body, you still have things to learn and experience. It is not your job to be perfect; it is your job to share your unique gifts and your love. In so doing, you will inspire and uplift others.
49. Sing without caring if others can hear. Oh, it's so much fun. Okay, close your windows if you must ... Then belt it!
50. Be a tribute to unconditional love. It is not our role to judge others ... Ours is only to be a stand for love, compassion, and light.
51. Try this if youre ever in a dark place ... or when you're not! Close your eyes and imagine someone you love smiling at you. When you physically feel yourself begin to smile, send them a blessing of love and gratitude.
52. Try on compassion when you feel least able. That guy cutting you off in traffic— Do you know for sure he's not rushing to get to the hospital before his baby is born? Or to catch his loved one before they die? He probably needs your blessings.
53. Choose to be courageous. Your mind can only focus on one thing at a time, so when you choose to be courageous, you focus on your strength and power and magically overcome your fear. The beauty is that no matter the outcome, you will feel lighter for having shown such courage.
54. Practice sharing. Find a charity that inspires you ... Share your time, your money, and your love. Share your complaints and your fears with God only, and watch your delight grow exponentially.
55. Laugh at yourself. Youre very funny. Come on ... you're hysterical! You know you are.
56. Trust in the process of your life. Even if something "bad" happens. Have faith that something good will come out of it ... It may take awhile to see the blessing, but eventually you will.
57. Believe in yourself and your dreams. You are a radiant being of light and love. You are deserving of your dreams just the way you are.
58. Close your eyes and turn your face to the sun. Breathe in the light ... Or imagine you are lying on the warm sand of a tropical beach, your face turned to the sun. With practice, this will have the same effect on cloudy days as it does on sunny days ...
59. The only way to win big in life is if you're willing to make big mistakes, and look ridiculous. We often take life so seriously, even though we're all going to end up the same way—free from our bodies and one with our light. So what have you got to lose? You might just win BIG!
60. Practice yoga. Stretching your body while focusing on your breath opens you to more positive energy. Get your glow on!
Excerpted from The Little Book of Light by Mikaela Katherine Jones. Copyright © 2012 Mikaela Katherine Jones. Excerpted by permission of Red Wheel/Weiser, LLC.
All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
Excerpts are provided by Dial-A-Book Inc. solely for the personal use of visitors to this web site.