The Lives of the Twelve Caesars : Sergius Sulpicius Galba, M. Salvius Otho, Aulus Vitellius, T. Flavius Vespasianus Augustus, Volume 6 (Illustrated)by C. Suetonius Tranquillus
• C. Suetonius Tranquillus was the son of a Roman knight who commanded a legion, on the side of Otho, at the battle which decided the fate of the empire in favour of Vitellius. From incidental notices in
- LendMe LendMe™ Learn More
• The book is an edited and illustrated version of the original one and includes 18 or more unique illustrations which are relevant to its content.
• C. Suetonius Tranquillus was the son of a Roman knight who commanded a legion, on the side of Otho, at the battle which decided the fate of the empire in favour of Vitellius. From incidental notices in the following History, we learn that he was born towards the close of the reign of Vespasian, who died in the year 79 of the Christian era. He lived till the time of Hadrian, under whose administration he filled the office of secretary; until, with several others, he was dismissed for presuming on familiarities with the empress Sabina, of which we have no further account than that they were unbecoming his position in the imperial court. How long he survived this disgrace, which appears to have befallen him in the year 121, we are not informed; but we find that the leisure afforded him by his retirement, was employed in the composition of numerous works, of which the only portions now extant are collected in the present volume.
- Five Star Publishing, LLC
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- File size:
- 2 MB
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >