- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
This enhanced eBook transforms The Making of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi into an immersive multimedia experience worthy of the original film. It features exclusive content pulled from the Lucasfilm archives by author J. W. Rinzler:
• 27 minutes of rare behind-the-scenes video٭
• 20 minutes of rare audio interviews with the cast and crew
• New bonus photos and artwork not found in the print edition
Just as Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi completed the most successful cinematic trilogy of its generation, perhaps of all time, this splendid thirtieth-anniversary tribute completes New York Times bestselling author J. W. Rinzler's trio of fascinating behind-the-scenes books celebrating George Lucas's classic films.
Once again, the author's unprecedented access to the formidable Lucasfilm Archives has yielded a mother lode of extremely informative, vastly entertaining, and often unexpected stories, anecdotes, recollections, and revelations straight from the closely guarded set of a big-screen blockbuster in the making. Brimming with previously unpublished photos, production artwork, script excerpts, exclusive intel, vintage on-set interviews, and present-day commentary, The Making of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi chronicles "how George Lucas and his crew of extroverted artists, misfits, and expert craftspeople roused themselves to great heights for a third time" to create the next unforgettable chapter in one of the most beloved sagas of all time. Get up close to the action and feel like a studio insider as
• creator George Lucas, Oscar-nominated screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan, and director Richard Marquand huddle in a script conference to debate the destinies of iconic Star Wars characters, as well as plot twists and turns for the epic final showdown between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire
• artists and craftspeople at the groundbreaking Industrial Light & Magic facility top their own revolutionary innovations — despite the infamous Black Friday — with boundary-pushing new analog visual effects
• a crack team of sculptors, puppeteers, actors, and "monster-makers" bring Jabba the Hutt and his cohorts to startling, slobbering life from the inside out
• a who's who of heavyweight directors — from such films as Superman, Gremlins, Halloween, Dune, Scanners, and Time Bandits — are considered for the coveted job of bringing a new Star Wars adventure to the silver screen
• actors and crew race to the finish line at Elstree Studios, in a fiery desert, and beneath the trees of a dense redwood forest — before money runs out — to answer the questions that audiences had waited three years to find out: Is Darth Vader really Luke's father, who is the "other" — and who or what is the Emperor?
Star Wars' stars from both sides of the camera — including Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, David Prowse, Alec Guinness, director Richard Marquand, producer Howard Kazanjian, Ralph McQuarrie, Joe Johnston, Dennis Muren, Phil Tippett, and mastermind George Lucas — weigh in with candid insights on everything from technical challenges, character design, Ewoks, the Empire's galactic city planet, and the ultimate challenge of bringing the phenomenal space fantasy to a dramatic close. The Making of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi gives a spectacular subject its just due, with more than five hundred images and many, many new interviews.
٭Video may not play on all readers. Please check your user manual for details.
Posted January 3, 2014
Having purchased books on the making of the other two movies in the original trilogy, I was very happy to purchase this one, too. All the photos and the details of what goes into making such a movie are great. It's the in-depth story of how "Return of the Jedi" got made. On the back cover of the book is a quote from George Lucas saying how he hoped people would feel uplifted after seeing the movie. That was my reaction after seeing it on opening day in 1983. This movie is very special to me. Having a high-quality book that provides so much about the movie is wonderful.Was this review helpful? Yes NoThank you for your feedback. Report this reviewThank you, this review has been flagged.
Posted October 1, 2013
No text was provided for this review.
Posted September 7, 2014
No text was provided for this review.